The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine swap

Max power

Hey you lot, I have a Naturally aspirated manual 94 and I'm wanting to swap my broken engine for a new one. The one I have found is from an automatic transmission naturally aspirated which I have found in a scrap yard. There is no transmission with it just the fly wheel at the back. What do I need to change? Will it fit? (Flywheel) etc thanks.

Edited by Max power (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

Well any bits you need you will have from your existing N/A engine . . . but you shouldn't need to change much

Think you will need to fit the flywheel from your existing engine . . . but hopefully the Engine Loom is the same on a Manual or Automatic car (someone will no doubt confirm) . . . but in the worse case you can swap the Loom from your old engine. (Generally speaking, when doing an Engine swap, it's easier to leave the loom on the actual Engine, and unplug the ECU and Body connectors)

Well any bits you need you will have from your existing N/A engine . . . but you shouldn't need to change much

Think you will need to fit the flywheel from your existing engine . . . but hopefully the Engine Loom is the same on a Manual or Automatic car (someone will no doubt confirm) . . . but in the worse case you can swap the Loom from your old engine. (Generally speaking, when doing an Engine swap, it's easier to leave the loom on the actual Engine, and unplug the ECU and Body connectors)

I was just wondering if everything will fit and line up???

I was just wondering if everything will fit and line up???

Yes it's fine. If you don't want to swap the loom over from the manual engine.(I would swap it personally) It's simply a couple of small mods to the gearbox loom to overcome the neutral safety switch on the auto, and to hook up the reverse light, the rest plugs in.

You will need to remove the flex plate from the new engine and install the flywheel from your manual car. Be advised that the flywheel bolts will be longer on your Manual, so make sure to use those to bolt the flywheel to the new engine.

You will need to install a pilot bearing in the back of the crank on the new engine. They are only a few quid from toyota.

The only other thing to be aware of is that there will be extra cooling pipes for the auto box running down the exhaust side of the engine low down. These will drip oil for a while so I would remove them before fitting, plus they are surplus to requirements anyway.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)