The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newcastle N/A Owner

Guest Roger NE

Guest Roger NE

Is there an N/A owner in the Newcastle upon Tyne area who is reasonably knowledgeable about these engines?

In a couple of weeks I'll be replacing the engine in my Mk3 Supra with a 2JZ-GE . . .

Although I have gathered together all the parts I need, and think I have sussed out the wiring correctly, I will be surprised if I can get it running OK !

I wonder if anyone local would be prepared to come round with their car and help me suss out the problem? (I'm reasonably knowledgeable myself, but obviously don't know the Mk4 engine)

It may just be the case of comparing engines, to see where VAC lines etc should go . . . or perhaps comparing voltages

I'd like to try and line up a nice helpful person on here BEFORE I go ahead with the Transplant !

Guest Roger NE

No offers? OK, well not even someone knowledgeable . . .

Just someone local with an N/A who would be willing to come round sometime just to compare engines so I can see what goes where

Hope some kind person will help !

Guest Roger NE

Well that's kind of you mate . . .

However, I'm hoping someone will offer to bring their car over if I can't get the engine started, so I can compare the engines side by side to see what's wrong

Do you have it running or will it not start Roger, or have you tried to turn the engine over. I've worked on both mk3's and MKIV's so know my way around them both really.

If you post some pics up of how the car looks now and what needs plumming in, I may be able to help. I'll be struggling to get over for a look though, I've got Stevo's engine to rebuild, a mk3 to fit a bigger turbo, Ross's engine to strip and then Bossco's car is getting a greddy plenum so as you can see its a bit full on for me up to Xmas lol. I'm happy to help as much as I can though.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

Thanks Hodge . . . (I see this thread has been moved to the Chat section, so hope you've found it)

Well the car is still on the road with my 7M-GE engine . . .

Basically I have been doing a LOT of research, and getting a suitable engine and all the bits together I will need to fit the 2JZ-GE in my Mk3 . . . . I'm now just waiting for a parcel from my sister in the USA that will have the correct JZA70 Engine Mounting Brackets, Power Steering adapter line and Oil Pressure Gauge adapter.

I have a local Mk3 owner who's had engines in and out who's going to help me swap the engines (or the other way round!) . . . . and because I'm making up Adaptor connectors to plug the 2JZ Engine Loom into the Mk3 Body sockets, I'm hoping the car will only be off the road for a few days.

I'm reasonably knowledgeable about the Mk3s . . . . and although both N/A engines are VERY similar I can see already that there's various VAC lines etc that need connecting . . . . possible electrical connection issues . . . . and I know it would be SO much easier to have a working engine alongside to compare to see where they go . . . maybe take voltage readings etc if it won't start.

That's why, once I have the new engine in place and everything connected up it would be great to have someone come over with their Mk4 to compare. We're probably talking about 3 weeks time (or so)

If you could spare a couple of hours to do that sometime Hodge, that would be great!

(Pics of my car HERE by the way)

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

Well if I have REAL problems getting it running, maybe you could help Hodge, if you know both Mk3 and Mk4 cars . . .

But in the meantime . . . is there someone locally with a stock N/A who might be able to pop over to compare engines sometime, once I've done the swap?

I have an Aftermarket Cone Air Filter (with adaptor pipe) that came with the 2JZ-GE I don't want . . .

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Most if not all the vac lines should be connected to the GE engine anyway. It's only the charcoal canister, fuel tank vent that's external to the engine and those can just get binned anyway. Odviously there's the brake booster but that will just be a direct replacement from mk3 to mk4.

Drop the engine in the car Roger and I'll come over and sort out the vac lines for you, and bin what's not needed.

Guest Roger NE

I'm still waiting for a parcel from the USA with the last of the bits I need . . . hopefully will be here in a couple of weeks, then will get on and do the swap

Jonny - did you get my PM?