The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spacer help

Pig

I have stock 17's on the car and they are sunk into the arches and I now feel it is time to have them fitting nicely/properly.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Do I need this sort of spacer? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Pair-of-Toyota-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-5x114-3-60-1-20mm-SUPRA-/221166046685?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&fits=Model%3ASupra&hash=item337e860ddd

In the good old days I had spacers like this on my 306 :) I take it they are a bad idea?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JZA80-Supra-2JZ-10mm-Front-Wheel-Spacers-x2-Conceptua-/110788781359?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cb86a52f

And what size do I need for the front and rear?

Thanks for your help

Pig

The first ones are best bud, bolt on hubcentrics.

To fit the cheaper ones, you'll require longer studs, that typically cost around £1 each. And then you'll need to remove the discs and calipers to fit them, also, they won't hold the alloy central with a spigot ring, as the hub lip will disappear.

Thanks, lots of good info on there but it isn't the idiots guide I was hoping for.

To fit the cheaper ones, you'll require longer studs, that typically cost around £1 each. And then you'll need to remove the discs and calipers to fit them, also, they won't hold the alloy central with a spigot ring, as the hub lip will disappear.

Thanks, is that the type you are selling?

Ill get the tape measure out and take a gamble on size. Any tips? I don't want to push the wheels out to far and have them catch on the arch (The car is quite low)

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

Front wheels stock are 17x8" +50 and for a flush fit with the fender, you need a approximately 33-35mm spacer.

Rear wheels stock are 17x9.5" +50 and for a flush fit with the fender, you need a approximately 25mm spacer.

Thank you, that is really helpful. If I go for a flush fit, would that mean I would need to roll the arches?

Hi mate, Iv'e just put spacers (all be it only 15 mm ones) on my rears, also with OE 17's (my winter wheels/tyres), and I struggled to torque them down, so I went down the road with my wife following me.

I knew something was wrong at once, so turned around came back and she said it looked like a clown car from the back, with the wheels wobbling all over the place, so took them off and after quite a lot of investigating I found that the wheel hub bolts were patruding far enough to butt up against two casting points on the OE wheels.

Once I had used a large drill to remove these "bits" (it took a few fittings) the wheels now fit ok.

This may not effect yours because of the depth of the spacer is more (20/25 mm), I just thought I had better mention it, the pictures should show better what I mean.

006.JPG

010.JPG

012.jpg

014.JPG

018.jpg

017.JPG

015.JPG

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

I always thought the slip on hubcentric spacers were the best with the proper ARP extended studs that are $10 per stud..... I seem to remember a GTR actually tore one of those bolt on spacers apart on a trackday, a supra may not achieve the same forces through cornering, but it would worry me!

Edit: Found the link: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/167822-warning-aluminium-wheel-spacers.html

Edited by Justin Bieber (see edit history)