The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yamaha MT-01 Test Ride......

womble

Just got back yesterday from S Africa courtesy of those nice people at Yamaha Europe who took me out there all expenses paid to blast the around the Cape peninsula on shiney new MT-01 (ho hum such is life eh :innocent:!!).

For those of you who don't know anything about this new model from them here's a link to Yamahas site for it : http://www.mt-01.com/YamahaPhase2/GetSplashPage_en.act?pageName=Home_Welcome&source=banner&bannerName=asq220yamP2uk

If there's one thing (probably the only thing come to think of it) I can actually say I do know a fair bit about it's motorbikes. I've had plenty of them (25ish) over the years from a DT50 to a GSXR1000 with plenty of variety (including off road / supermoto / enduro ) inbetween.

This bike is pretty much different to all of them though and is SUPERB fun to ride. The sheer amount of grunt, 150Nm at just 3750 !!! (2005 Ducati 999 102Nm) from it's 1675cc engine is just bonkers :) !!!. Whilst it's not the lightest bike by a long way the chassis is superb and really allows you to chuck it around, great fun on the tight twisty mountain roads we went round, just keep it in 3rd and the thing catapults you out of corners (twins are great at this) and past cars like nothing I've ever ridden before.

Got some great pics of it too both from myself and by Yamahas photographer but they're all way too big to post up on here. If any one wants some I'll mail them to them if they like and if anyone wants to know anything about the bike feel free to ask as at the moment I probably know more about it than any dealer as it's not actually launched till February.

Blimey, looks like quite a machine. That torque figure is incredible. I bet wheelies are quite easy with that much torque.

I'm surprised they went with chain and sprocket final drive, that thing is going to eat chains for breakfast!

I guess it's a bit Harley looking, well the engine at least.

What's the vibration like?

Originally posted by Jake

You lucky swine!

How come you got to go? Are you a bike dealer or something like that?

No not a dealer, I just entered a competition on Yamaha's web site to win the bike and although I didn't win it I did the get put into a prize draw to go to Africa to ride it. There were 10 of us in all from all over Europe and none of us even believed Yamaha at 1st when they rang to tell us, I'd totally forgotten about it.

With regards to it being easy to wheelie I too thought that would be the case but in actual fact it's really q hard to get the front end up (and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying:) ), one of the main reasons for this is the particularly long swing arm which is closley based on the R1s (and the moto gp bike for that matter), along with the long wheelbase (1525mm / GSXR1000 1410mm) and also the weight of the thing (at 240kg dry you'd best watch your back / call some friends if you drop it !!). They've done a great job of damping out the high frequency vibrations with most components rubber mounted whilst still allowing you to feel the engine thump away when ridden. Chain wear probably will be a bit higher than most sports bikes due to the mega torque (which incidently is what the MT part of the name stands for) and I'd say a Scott Oiler would be a good idea for most people. Shaft drive adds alot of weight / expense and saps power whilst (with the exception of Buells) drive belts have never really taken off, why that's the case I really dont know, anyone ?.

Originally posted by npotts

Hi mate, own a Ducati myself. I saw the Yamaha at this years NEC bike show - looked pretty incredible!!

I think they will do well with the new bike when it is released. Certainly has a fair bit of torque!!

I would be interested in seeing some photo's mate if possible. Can you send them to:

'[email protected]'

??

Thanks

Nick

It really does look great in the flesh doesn't it. I'll be sorting through the photo's I've got a little latter and I'll mail them to you then.

What Ducati have you got ?.

Hi Mate

I currently own a 748S which has had a whole host of updates including a MonsterMon spray job and signiture (Shakey himself). Done by the guy who sprays Shakeys helmets....'Rage'

I have tried to attach a picture - hope it works!!

Cheers

Nick

p.s - great prize man!! Unbelievable.....

dscf0021_2 copy.jpg

Nice bike Jake - have you got this months RIDE magazine (due out any time now). It has a huge section on fireblades going back to the very first model right up to todays 05 beast - would be a good read...

A guy at work has a 98 blade - very nice bike you got there!

Nick

Yeah it's a good bike but it's a bit behind the times in the power stakes now.

I think it's 130bhp, the current superbikes are something silly like 180bhp, aren't they?

I don't really keep up to date with all the latest bike developments any more. Once upon a time I used to get all the bike mags every month. I might have to have a butcher's at this months RIDE magazine though.

Cheers

Very nice Nick, very nice indeed. I've always been a fan of the 748 it's "revier" nature apeals to me more than the 916s (well 999 now). I've mailed you some pics but they amy be too big as some of them are 2meg (eek !!).

Jake any idea (please bear in mind that I'm REALLY crap with computers) as to how to reduce the size of them so I can post some up here / on that site you mentioned ?.

Hi Womble

Didnt receive your pictures mate, so I guess they were too big for my hotmail account.....

If you can reduce them I would be interested in seeing them though.

My bike is currently up for sale at the minute. I havent advertised it anywhere as yet, but plan to over the next few days. I am selling it to fund my racing season next year when I will be racing on a Suzuki SV650. Would love to keep the Duke, but just cant afford both unfortunately!!

Nick

Nick, sorry mate but as you suspected the mail was too big for the pics to go throught (had a mail saying so).

And Jake thanks for the link but I still haven't got a clue as to how to reduce them (told you I was crap :) !!)

A friend of mine that sorts out all my computer woes (keeps him busy) should be round on Sat / Sun so I'll get him to show me how resize them as some of the pics are really q good and this isn't the 1st time I've had problems with sizing so I could really do with learning how to get them sorted.