The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front mount piping

Poshmalc

Hi guys,

I've just fitted a new fmic and I'm a little short on piping that I'm confident will stay put! There's loads of kits on eBay that are mk4 specific but as I already have the cooler I was wondering if anyone does a kit with just the pipes in. I have some universal pipes, but I'm worried that as soon as they are cut to size they will lose the lip on the pipe and may be susceptible to blowing off. :tongue: Can anyone offer any advice?

Matt

Need a kit like this:

image[/url]

I went down the 3"universal kit route and for reasons you have already mentioned, it was a load of hassle.

Also, if you run a stock bumper, to get the 'U' bit to fit on the passenger side, you have to cut a fair bit away.

I ended up replacing it, but was telling a mate about it and he reckons you don't need the lip all the way round to stop the pipes coming off, simply using a chisel on the inside to make a outward notch in a couple of places is enough he reckons. Makes sense, but was too late in my case as I got sick of leaks.

Your probably best buying an eBay kit for its pipework and selling on the core.

The pipework from this seller is a perfect fit. I had one on my car until I swapped the core for a Greddy one. ignore the picture on the eBay advert.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-2JZGTE-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-KIT-/220826728374?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehiclesq_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ASupra&hash=item336a4c77b6

Thanks everyone, kinda resigned to the fact that I may have to buy a full kit and sell the cooler, but have emailed them all anyway asking if they'll just sell me the pipes. Cheers for the advice Shane, may come to this in the end and that little tip may just keep the hoses in place!

Matt

Thanks everyone, kinda resigned to the fact that I may have to buy a full kit and sell the cooler, but have emailed them all anyway asking if they'll just sell me the pipes. Cheers for the advice Shane, may come to this in the end and that little tip may just keep the hoses in place!

Matt

No worries. I do have most if not all of the 3" stuff left actually, and some more besides as I ony used about half of the stuff in the kit.

My IC was a 3" XS with ports at the bottom. Viper do a real nice flexi that joins straight to the OEM pipe from the turbos and fits the 3" after market pipe, it sits inside the wing and fits perfect and will even allow you to retain the stock air box if you wish. I got mine frm Steve on here, but I guess if you call Viper they will know what you want. PM me if you want details of the pipe work I have, also have quite a few odd silicon joiners and mikalor style clamps in various sizes.

If you do need to cut the pipes down, you could always weld a bead around the end of the cut pipe to keep the silicone joiners from blowing off.

Indeed, but if you have access to ally welding facilities anyhow, then many of the joints could be welded rather than joined using sleeves. I was thinking of going down this route at one point, but then picked up some blitz hard pipes.

Indeed, but if you have access to ally welding facilities anyhow, then many of the joints could be welded rather than joined using sleeves. I was thinking of going down this route at one point, but then picked up some blitz hard pipes.

with an engine moving around as it does, I wouldn't want to weld all the pipes together. Personally I'd want some flex in there.

Just get them rolled on pipe swaging tool :)

Yes, if you can find someone who is willing to let you borrow one or do it for you, I guess radiator repair places would have one to form the lips on outlet/inlets.

with an engine moving around as it does, I wouldn't want to weld all the pipes together. Personally I'd want some flex in there.

Not suggesting all joints are welded, but some of them could be. The OP is looking at using a universal kit and from experience although these can be used on the Supra, you do end up with quite a few joins, some of which could be welded.