The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I can start to see why people are breaking their cars

supra steveo

Its getting to the point now where I and fed up to the back teeth, think my gearbox is starting to go, last night the power in the car totally shut off while trying to start because the alarm was being a dick, but then 2 mins later it was fine again :rolleyes:

think we need another bury meet so we can pull my car apart :(

also does anyone know where i can get a V-160 box reconditioned

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

Whilst I love my Supra, I know what you mean and where you are coming from. There is always things to do with it or that need fixing. They can get me down at times. Its made worse because it coming to the rubbish time of year when you can't enjoy it like you want to.

Wait until the sun comes out again, the car is clean and you can open her up... its at that point you realise why, for all its faults, you love it.

Its getting to the point now where I and fed up to the back teeth, think my gearbox is starting to go and last night the power in the car totally shut off while trying to start because the alarm was being a dick but then 2 mins later was fine again :rolleyes:

think we need another bury meet so we can pull my car apart :(

also does anyone know where i can get a V-160 box reconditioned

Good lord man are you drunk? its just taken me 10 mins to work out what your saying!

Wait until the sun comes out again, the car is clean and you can open her up... its at that point you realise why, for all its faults, you love it.

This. I've said so many times to myself the same thing over the smallest of things. Last was my new alternator pissing about and I threw all my toys out the pram. But you have that one drive only so often that makes you love it again.

This. I've said so many times to myself the same thing over the smallest of things. Last was my new alternator pissing about and I threw all my toys out the pram. But you have that one drive only so often that makes you love it again.

Agree, wait until you break/sell and you will regret it. I still regret getting rid of my NA.....

Its the same with any performance related vehicle. To keep it running at an optimal level you are constantly investing time and money. I have had a 911 S2 and BMW 535d M since my Supra and can honestly say that the Supra (over 7 years of ownership) was the most economical of these to maintain with least issues.......whist it might get you down at times there is very little even today that can give so much and cost so little (in relative terms of course). :)

:yeahthat:

Peanuts in comparison to other supercars, found them to be extremely reliable!

Stevo you need to get your car sorting out properly!! You seem to be having issues after issues. :(

Unfortunately this gets you down the most when you get a car that repeatedly messes up :( its a shame because it kills the love for that particular car...

Well that's me finally decided .......I will be keeping the N/A and NOT going for a turbo ......This way I can still drive her everyday (even through winter) and be pretty confident about reliability :D

Sorry you're having issues Steveo :(

TBH I see little difference in reliability from NA to turbo. My Turbo was brilliant and in all the time I had it never had a breakdown and only one mechanical failure was a steering pump.

Turbos seemed fine all the time I had it and apart from a small puff of smoke on start up (usual thing) it ran like a clock even with 120k!

Dont be put off a turbo, in stock form they are as reliable IMO as a NA. When you start to mod them, well then your playing a different game and the more you push the more fragility you introduce.

Well that's me finally decided .......I will be keeping the N/A and NOT going for a turbo ......This way I can still drive her everyday (even through winter) and be pretty confident about reliability :D

Sorry you're having issues Steveo :(

Yeah never had any problems with my N/A but it massively lacked power and now I've had a sniff of it ........... I want more , and would say I don't think I will be happy until I've gone big single :rolleyes:

TBH any performance car is going to need fairly regular work to keep it in top shape. If you think Supra owners have it bad, you should try a 300ZX, GTO, Skyline, RX7 or NSX. The bills that these cars can generate are eye watering in comparison to Supra costs.

Sorry to hear your V160 is on the way out, but they aren't indestructible. Just very tough. Probably the single most expensive part to replace on these cars.

I think the Supra's high standards for reliability make it even more frustrating when things go wrong. Most things these days are maintenance issues as things will need to be replaced. These are 20 year old cars now. Mine is 16 next month and touch wood it has been immensely reliable.

Chin up Steve. I imagine if you go to another car you will realise just how good these cars are.

H.