The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight options?

Kendo11

I'd like to either replace or modernise my Jspec headlights as the yellowy tint is the only thing really spoiling the look of the car at the minute.

I did come across the thread where a chap was making some but that seems to have stopped, so is my only option to either keep on the lookout for some UK headlights or is there a how-to on modernising the Jspec ones?

Cheers.

If you're just looking to get rid of the yellow then I would recommend buying Plastix and use some good old fashioned elbow grease. If you can get your hands on a polisher then it makes the job all the easier.

If you want to go further, you could split them and do the same on the inside.

Further again would be to paint the innards.

Don't follow the guide on here, if you do you'll melt your lights. 100 degrees is plenty :)

How would I go about painting them? I guess I'll have a good look at the guide tomorrow. Sounds like a bit of a job!

I was tempted to wrap them slightly darker but as they are already an advisory on the mot I doubt I'd be doing myself any favours.

How would I go about painting them? I guess I'll have a good look at the guide tomorrow. Sounds like a bit of a job!

I was tempted to wrap them slightly darker but as they are already an advisory on the mot I doubt I'd be doing myself any favours.

Take them apart via the oven. Take out the inner lens and, if you want, mask off around the rings. Get a rattle can of black satin and give em a spray.

Check this out...

http://www.mkivsuprastar.com/index.php?view=angeleyes

If you scroll down to the glass part, that shows varying stages.

In all honesty, the headlights make or break a supra. If they're cloudy/yellowing now, no matter how well you clean or refurb them, they'll go back to yellow after a few months. I would suggest going to Toyota and buying new glass headlights, or better still new facelifts if you can afford them.

You should still do the refurb on your old lights, then sell them to recoup some of the money you've spent on your new ones. The how-to is a good guide but listen to Scott, 100degs is loads and keep checking them when they're in the oven.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

Now I'm on the laptop I'll have a read of the Supra star article.

The facelift/UK ones seem a tad expensive for my budget to be honest, so I reckon a DIY refurb (something I'd enjoy more anyway) is going to be the way to go.