The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tiptronic oddness

Branners

My tiptronic gearbox is working fine, but the digi readout on the dash seems a little confused.

When you have the car in N or D then the LCD display puts a black background around the letter. However mine seems to have the black background around the D or the N or both when still in park. It also means sometimes the shifter wont go from N to reverse and I have to use the red button.

Also when reversing sometimes I can hear clicking coming from the shifter, as if the shift lock is trying to activate.

I doubt anybody has heard of this before but thought it worth checking to see if anybody has any ideas? I may change the whole shift mechanism to see if that fixes it.

Easily fixed If its what I think it is the shifter has a connection to a rod underneath the car but above the physical box itself there is a nut on the rod.

loosen the nut and then shift the box manually underneath the car to park and do the same above on the cabin shifter then tighten the nut back up I had the problem when refiting my old autobox on the N/A so I would think our tip boxs are still the same underneath

I think so it hasnt felt right since getting it tbh clunking around not egaging D or R when it feels like it I was stuck at the gym for 10 mins tonight whilst it decided whether or not to move

Where did you get it from? VVTi tips are the worst when things go wrong. Great to drive but no one really knows much about them.

I wish I bought a normal non VVTI Tiptronic now they are frought with issues

I bought mine from Jurgen three years ago and although we had some initial problems the car has been great since.

I do wonder when I am going to start having reliability issues. The problem is then, who will know how to fix it.

H.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I will take the dash apart around the shifter and take a look with these suggestions.

To MattP, sadly there are no standard autobox cars with the VVTi. It seems it was Tiptronic or 6sp manual only. I have never heard of a tiptronic failing before so they are not a problematic gearbox. They are supposedly the same box as the original mkiv auto but with different ecu and shifter. So should prove to be pretty reliable.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I will take the dash apart around the shifter and take a look with these suggestions.

To MattP, sadly there are no standard autobox cars with the VVTi. It seems it was Tiptronic or 6sp manual only. I have never heard of a tiptronic failing before so they are not a problematic gearbox. They are supposedly the same box as the original mkiv auto but with different ecu and shifter. So should prove to be pretty reliable.

Indeed I must just have a sassy tipbox haha if it could happen to anybody odds are it would be me :(