The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI Tiptronic gearbox issues and Delimeter chip issues

MattP

Having issues with the auto box it's a 98 VVTI tiptronic now what I want to do is separate fact from hear say so anybody with credible knowledge feel free to comment

Issue one : the car won't engage drive or reverse on occasion and when it finally decides to it has quite a clunk.

Issue two : the car pulls well through 3 gears but then just bounces of the limiter in 3rd and refuses to go into fourth in both modes that's manual and standard drive. It will however if you ease your foot off WOT drop into fourth and if you gently press the accelerator to half way slowly build up past 120 leptons as soon as you return to wot it smacks itself back into 3rd and refuses to allow surplus 120 leptons.

(The car is fitted with a delimiter chip and mph converter.)

Issue three : the box seems adamant on being in 4th as quickly as possible at 20-25mph and struggles to disengage into a lower gear both when braking or climbing a hill and tries to stall out the car

Any help?

Not a huge amount of help, but issue two is the same for all delimited tiptronics. Just make sure not to suddenly hit WOT at 150+ or it'll change down into third. :eek: As far as I'm aware nobody has managed to get around it yet, I also don't think anyone is working on it.

As for the other two issues have you changed the gearbox oil and filter recently? Also make sure it's topped up to at least the full level. :)

Yep had the car a month it's been to get checked 3 times at Jm imports had the oils changed etc still no joy jurgen claims the car needs to warn up first I never heard of this problem? Nor did I have this with the past 2 auto supras bar when my box died at 300,000 miles it did the whole I'm not engaging gear routine

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

I have a tiptronic VVTI delimited and mine doesn't want to gear down to third at mega speeds .

Are you 100% on this? If you keep accelerating (WOT) to the top of third, does it change up to fourth without backing off? Think(not sure) around 135 would be the top of third.

If that is the case you have the only tiptronic I've heard of that works that way and you must have some sort of after market or modified gearbox ECU or a clever delimiter.

Would be worth finding out what you have as I'm sure every tiptronic owner would buy one. Even if just for the safety aspect of not risking damage to the engine or auto box.

Yep had the car a month it's been to get checked 3 times at Jm imports had the oils changed etc still no joy jurgen claims the car needs to warn up first I never heard of this problem?

Well I certainly wouldn't be pushing a supra past 3k until it's warmed up, or any car for that matter. Your just asking for problems.

Well I certainly wouldn't be pushing a supra past 3k until it's warmed up, or any car for that matter. Your just asking for problems.

getting in the car on a morning/afternoon putting it into reverse or drive and it just saying nope not today is a heat in the box oil issue?

The point is it just won't go into gear I went into the gym last night came out started it up selected drive andddddd nothing selected reverse annnnd nothing sat there repeating steps 1 and 2 for 10 mins then clunk we have drive

Does anybody else's tip box do this do you get up in the morning and start the car to go to work and let the car decide when it can be bothered to move

The car also gets driven at no more than 40mph as it's a daily from the sticks into Durham center everyday and excess of this speed is simply not possible it's also kept in a fully underfloor heated garage every night so frost etc cold is not an issue

I would like to point out as in the other tiptronic thread I am not blaming JM imports for the gearbox issue I am simply looking for other tiptronic box owners experience or lack there of... Of the issues I'm experiencing the main one being having no drive or reverse at times the more information I have the more likely we are to remedy the problem

Never thought about it to much before , know on the last pull to japfest 2 I got to 140mph ish got off the accelerator then back on it ( to the floor) and didn't gear down of show and sign of wanting to.

Is there any way of me finding this out without trying it again?

Never thought about it to much before , know on the last pull to japfest 2 I got to 140mph ish got off the accelerator then back on it ( to the floor) and didn't gear down of show and sign of wanting to.

Is there any way of me finding this out without trying it again?

Well an indicated 140 is probably less than 135 actual speed.

Speed in each gear for the auto box can be found here: http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35922-Autobox-gearbox-ratios&highlight=gear+speeds

As I thought the top speed in third on a TT Auto box is 135.697mph.

What you might find is that if you kept accelerating it wouldn't get any faster without lifting off the throttle and letting it change up into fourth then applying more throttle but not WOT.

I searched and read for hours on this subject when I was considering an tiptronic and as far as I can tell there's no way around it.

Basically all the tiptronic delimiters do is trick the gearbox into thinking the car is doing less than 120ish at any time hence the danger in kicking down at over 135 as the gear box thinks its doing less than 120.

Guest Lee_89

Mine is a 98 trip full bpu sourced by JM imports, soon as I start it I can select gear straight away, I keep revs below 3k for the first 10 minutes before pushing any harder, but I have no issues in the higher territory