The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Second turbo not boosting properly

cainhead

Anyone any ideas. Just started tonight and I'm meant to be off to SPA on Friday. First turbo seems fine and then power drops a little more than normal between turbos then car really struggles with the second turbo and juddered a little.

Doesn't seem to be smoke coming out.

Any ideas, all replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had this with my first set of turbos, turned out turbo 2 was dead as it took a pair of pliers to turn the shaft. It WOULD spool it, but there'd be a huge drop in power between 4000 RPM and 4700 or so, then it'd come on all of a sudden. Pretty weird.

I had this with my first set of turbos, turned out turbo 2 was dead as it took a pair of pliers to turn the shaft. It WOULD spool it, but there'd be a huge drop in power between 4000 RPM and 4700 or so, then it'd come on all of a sudden. Pretty weird.

Anyway of checking this without taking half the car apart

I think we need a sticky on this as its only going to get more common.

Best thing to do is convert to TTC mode, this will help you find out if this is the common issue with the EGVR or something similar to that valve

Hello mate, just found a guide to this online so will have a go tomorrow. Thanks for the post

Had read through here mate will help if you havent alrwady http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35926-The-sequential-system

Yeah seen a couple of times will have a good read through tonight and get my head stuck in the engine tomorrow.

Anyone know the cost of replacement turbos and a good place to get them done, and how long it normally takes. Just thinking ahead

Thank you for posting that. It's a good read. I have a feeling it's the inter cooler pipe as I replaced this about 3 weeks ago and it popped of I over fuels the engine. I don't think I have reconnected it properly. Will check this first.

Did you find any benefits with running ttc?

Cheers

Thank you for posting that. It's a good read. I have a feeling it's the inter cooler pipe as I replaced this about 3 weeks ago and it popped of I over fuels the engine. I don't think I have reconnected it properly. Will check this first.

Cheers

If the intercooler pipe has popped off mate or even just slightly popped of mate it wouldn't boost at all, like not even go onto the second turbo. At least from my experience. Did you replace the plugs and reset the ECU when the hose popped off?

TTC's a good way to diagnose problems with the twin system, also marginally better for fuel economy and a lot smoother power delivery.

Cheers

I did not actually get to try out TTC and it was still not boosting up .... I like feeling two turbos kicking in anyways so I have kept it sequential

If the intercooler pipe has popped off mate or even just slightly popped of mate it wouldn't boost at all, like not even go onto the second turbo. At least from my experience. Did you replace the plugs and reset the ECU when the hose popped off?

TTC's a good way to diagnose problems with the twin system, also marginally better for fuel economy and a lot smoother power delivery.

No did none of this, how would I reset the ecu, and why would I need to change the plugs.

Cheers

No did none of this, how would I reset the ecu, and why would I need to change the plugs.

Cheers

disconnect the battery for about a minute, reconnect it fire it up let it idle, if it idles rough then take it for a gentle drive, it will eventually sort itself out, if the intercooler pipe work was off then you could have confused the ecu and it would have sent more fuel in I believe, that can bugger the spark plugs, so might be worth looking at them

disconnect the battery for about a minute, reconnect it fire it up let it idle, if it idles rough then take it for a gentle drive, it will eventually sort itself out, if the intercooler pipe work was off then you could have confused the ecu and it would have sent more fuel in I believe, that can bugger the spark plugs, so might be worth looking at them

Ok I see. Yeah I would say it dumped more fuel in as I had a lot of black smoke. However still doesn't sound like any plugs are missing, but will take a look tomorrow.

I took off all the inter cooler piping gave it a clean and put it back together, unfiortunately the bracket that holds the main pipe underneath the radiator had rusted and the bolts sheared. I put the pipe work back on making sure it was connected securely and took it out. Just as the second turbo came in one of the pipes popped again. But just before it did it looked as if the turbo was boosting again and felt good.

Hoping that I can fabricate a bracket and that's problem solved. If not will try ttc.

Thanks for the help

Ok I see. Yeah I would say it dumped more fuel in as I had a lot of black smoke. However still doesn't sound like any plugs are missing, but will take a look tomorrow.

I took off all the inter cooler piping gave it a clean and put it back together, unfiortunately the bracket that holds the main pipe underneath the radiator had rusted and the bolts sheared. I put the pipe work back on making sure it was connected securely and took it out. Just as the second turbo came in one of the pipes popped again. But just before it did it looked as if the turbo was boosting again and felt good.

Hoping that I can fabricate a bracket and that's problem solved. If not will try ttc.

Thanks for the help

Not a problem mate, hope you manage to fix it :thumbs: