The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Range Rover restoration

Dnk

Thought i'd start a new thread covering the restoration of my 19 year old classic Range Rover

that i recently bought.

Its a 1994 M reg 3.9 Vogue SE Soft dash

It's in need of some tlc and will be on the ramp next week, first job is really to do a thorough

inspection and see exactly what we have to do.

Checking the chassis and floor pan first for corrosion then move onto the mechanics, engine,

gearbox, transfer box, diffs, brakes, cooling system etc

At the moment from my visual inspection when i bought it on the bad list are

Boot floor - heavy corrosion - replace

Drivers foot well - heavy corrosion - replace

Passenger foot well - light corrosion - replace

Bonnet - surface corrosion - strip & paint

Lower tailgate - surface corrosion - strip & paint

Power steering leak - replace hoses

Fuel pipe leak - replace

Abs faulty - possibly a sensor

Drivers airbag faulty - replace

CV joint - replace

Quarter glass seals - replace

Air suspension - remove and fit new shocks & springs

Tyres - some have cracks in sidewalls replace all 5

N/S/R door window - replace motor

Drivers door lock - ?

On the good side :)

Most of the body looks in very good condition but will need a good mopping

From what i can see the chassis looks in good condition

All door hinges are very good, no play

All door bottom edges are perfect

Sunroof works fine

Hardly a mark on the interior, dash, seats & door cards

A/C works

Fan works

All windows bar 1 work

All door locks bar 1 work

Top tailgate is fine and locks

Motor sounds fine

Gearbox seems to work fine

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ooo sounds like this is gonna be awesome love rr's me and my dad are currently restoring an ex military 109

Oh and what wheels has it got my mates got some csk's he could be persuaded to sell that he got off my dad

It's on the classic 3 spoke alloys but i'd like to fit a set of these 5 spokes in the photo, this is

how i want it to look when it's finished

100494096.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I'll see if my dads got any of them ones as he's got a few random sets I think

Cheers Chris

Shall be watching this with interest mate, best of luck with the restoration :)

Thanks mate, theres a fair bit of work to do but hopefully it'll finish up like the pic in post 6 :)

image.jpg

My full restoration, twr brooklands colour co-ordinated bumpers and skirts, 4.2 Thor

Soft dash, cream leather

Galv-powder coated chassis, fully rebuilt engine and drivetrain, all inner wings refurbed and galvanised-powder coated, Ali upper tailgate

This is my 4th classic, sold my LSE (wish I hadn't) keeping this as the brooklands twr limited editions are quite rare

I have loads of spares, and am going to Newbury show ground tomorrow to pick up more at "old sodbury sort out"

If you need a hand or some parts gimme a shout mate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]175717[/ATTACH]

My full restoration, twr brooklands colour co-ordinated bumpers and skirts, 4.2 Thor

Soft dash, cream leather

Galv-powder coated chassis, fully rebuilt engine and drivetrain, all inner wings refurbed and galvanised-powder coated, Ali upper tailgate

This is my 4th classic, sold my LSE (wish I hadn't) keeping this as the brooklands twr limited editions are quite rare

I have loads of spares, and am going to Newbury show ground tomorrow to pick up more at "old sodbury sort out"

Wow, that's a cracker

[ATTACH=CONFIG]175717[/ATTACH]

Soft dash, cream leather

Do not sell it unless you get silly money for it, good condition classics are going up in value like

you wont believe.

Not sure what i need yet but thanks for the offer of help etc

Wow, that's a cracker

Thanks, I LOVE the classic range rover, even tho they are a nightmare to keep running sweet and functioning lol

Still on air suspension (but with updated pump and new air bags)

Love it

Great to see Dnk with one , I'll be watching this thread!

Here's a photo of mine, the paint isn't quite as good in the flesh but the panels are straight, a good

mop and polish should see it looking a lot better after we've done the rest of the work.

The bull bars gone and in the skip

3908584.jpg

Here's a photo of mine, the paint isn't quite as good in the flesh but the panels are straight, a good

mop and polish should see it looking a lot better after we've done the rest of the work.

The bull bars gone and in the skip

What is the underneath like Dunk? I have seen a couple of these at our local restorers that are absolutely rotten. Will keep you busy I suppose.

What is the underneath like Dunk? I have seen a couple of these at our local restorers that are absolutely rotten. Will keep you busy I suppose.

From my first inspection its not too bad but that was on a drive with a torch crawling underneath, there's a bit of

corrosion in both front foot wells with a couple of small ish holes in the drivers side, the worst is the boot floor

as that's scrap.

We'll know more next week when it goes on the ramp but i'm not overly concerned at the moment

From my first inspection its not too bad but that was on a drive with a torch crawling underneath, there's a bit of

corrosion in both front foot wells with a couple of small ish holes in the drivers side, the worst is the boot floor

as that's scrap.

We'll know more next week when it goes on the ramp but i'm not overly concerned at the moment

Though it would be the boot floor. Seen the lads cutting them out. They even called me over to say "Here, have a look at this.".

Sounds like a challenge.