The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electronic MOT's

Dale B

Now I may be saying something thats already known, but just thought Id mention this. Talking to a local MOT station about "exhaust friendly" MOT'ers and he was saying that MOT's are about to go electronic and garages wont be able to take a blind eye to de-catted exhausts. He also said that there is a Cat available on the market that you just "shove up" your pipe (if you pardon the expression) get your MOT and then pull it back out with a rod (much the same as baffles I presume). Has anyone heard of this and / or got experience of these "temporary cats"?

Originally posted by boneyard

How could you use another car for an MOT. Registration & chassis numbers wont be the right ones on the certificate?

The gas analyser doesn't know which cars exhaust it's up, it relies on the tester inputting the reg and VIN number manually at the moment. Whether this will change when it's done electronically I don't know, I'll find out though.

Another little known trick is too grind off the engine number therfore when they come to do the cat test they dont have the correct data so they need to do a standard test which is alot me tollerent something along those lines

Will find out from the old git later excally how it was done

Originally posted by supradibbs

Another little known trick is too grind off the engine number therfore when they come to do the cat test they dont have the correct data so they need to do a standard test which is alot me tollerent something along those lines

Will find out from the old git later excally how it was done

i dont think thats a good idea. believe me:eek: i was stopped by the old bill . after me giving some abuse they decided to carry out a full examination of my car and much to my suprise i had no engine number so they took my car away, and i got it back after 2 weeks. and a day in the cells after being acused engine number tampering:sex:

Right being an MOT tester, if I can remember right, the computer is linked via modem to a central database (dvla or something) and when you start an MOT we will have to swipe a card in so it knows who is testing, then i think, its something like the first, or last 6/8 digits of the chassis number, then the computer will bring up all the info on the car, So it should have the engine no. etc on it already!!

But as for the EGA (exhaust gas analyser) it will be attached to the card reader, so basically every MOT we do, they know exactly how long it takes to do the test/emissions test etc.

The gas analyser doesn't know which cars exhaust it's up, it relies on the tester inputting the reg and VIN number manually at the moment.

That will still be possible, and yeh the analyser won't know whats its up :eek: but at the moment all the tolerances have changed,

Where as before, anything after 1993 had to be

FAST IDLE IDLE

CO >0.3 >0.5

Lambda 0.97 - 1.03

etc, the new limits have changed, cars up to aug 1995 can basically have a CO of anything up to 3.5%, at idle!! which through experience most cars should pass, :innocent: , otherwise its only a visual smoke check..

Plus I've also checked out, no car needs a cat for an MOT, the 'bible' doesn't state that it has to have one, just that it needs to be within emissions limits.

Sorry for being so long and I hope its a help to someone..

P.S, Of course i've never used another car for emissions purposes, that would be wrong :D

I was under the impression that if the vehicle wasn't on the database of vehicles, then a non-cat test had to be performed? ie seeing as the import had different tubbies and injectors then it wasn't classed as the same vehicle as the UK, and therefore needed a different test. There was a post that showed some sort of flow diagram. I'll see if I can find it....

I was under the impression that if the vehicle wasn't on the database of vehicles, then a non-cat test had to be performed?

There is no database now, You have to manually type in the details fore each car, but up to 1995 cars now is basically a visuall check,

Thanks for the MOT info, useful stuff, keep us updated as and when the new legislation comes on line. I believe they are months behind schedule already!

Yeh probably, they are suppose to have started introducing them already, but we still haven't heard nothing, they are all suppose to be in by the middl of next year or something like that!

Originally posted by Graham S

There is no database now, You have to manually type in the details fore each car, but up to 1995 cars now is basically a visuall check,

is this coming into action when they go computerised then

cus as far as i know the only visual emission test carried out is on pre1975 vehicles and any vehicles that is pre july 1995 and not on data base is tested to CO 3.5% HC1200ppm and any vehicle after that date must comply to CO 0.3 HC200ppm and lamba between 0.97-1.03

i also do mot testing but only on part time basis just to keep my licence valid.

as far as i know the only visual emission test carried out is on pre1975 vehicles and any vehicles that is pre july 1995 and not on data base is tested to CO 3.5% HC1200ppm and any vehicle after that date must comply to CO 0.3 HC200ppm and lamba between 0.97-1.03

They recently changed the new limits, it use to be 93>on had a BETS/CAT test, now if it doesn't go through the first initial test, where it use to go into the second longer one where you searched the database for car/ engine type etc, it now just asks if the car if pre 95 or 95>. both then ask for make, model, engine size, reg, milage etc, but the pre 95 just goes through a few checks, where you hold it at fast idle to 'pre condition' the cat, then asks if it smokes for longer than 5 seconds at idle!

Crazy i know, the only time it asks for the 'probe to be inserted' (:eek: ) is after all that so it checks idle emissions, which i think is still CO >0.5...

So basically what you say for pre '75 cars is right and cause there is no database now they are all checked to the CO 3.5% etc limits!!

Easy! :innocent:

I hope that makes sence cause i'm getting confused now!

emissions were always confusing:conf: i don't think even the VI know what they doing next. i use to do mots full time and it was easier keeping up with new regulations. it just seems that as soon as u turn your back they go and change something else on the mot test.:mad: