The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overboosting with Restrictor ring?

supra_ufo

I was driving the car on Monday and usually always at the end of the journey check the peak boost. Usually its always 1.1 MAX but I noticed on Monday it creeped past 1.1 and looks like almost 1.3 bar! Now I know the depo racing gauges are not exactly the best out there but for weeks its been reading 1.1 max boost. I have a restrictor ring installed (iky can confirm). Should I be worried? I thought the ring stops it from going past 1.1/1.2... My turbo is a j spec rebuilt with steel internals.

I do plan to buy a boost controller but probably for next summer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175590&stc=1&d=1380713554

overboost.jpeg

cold weather does have an affect so is probably that,

remember a boost controller will only up boost not lower it, so with a boost controler you would of still had the same situation,

that being said the 1.3 was probably just a spike and was not held at it for long but i would keep an eye out if i was you

wouldnt this cause a loss of boost and not overboost

It could cause overboost, it's not winter yet, so I think atmospheric temperatures affecting it greatly is unlikely at this time of year.

I'd say it's either just recorded a high peak then it's levelled off, or it's possibly a split hose if it's persistently hitting that figure.