finding it hard to move on!

broomie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear you, after years of hearing how much better a TT was than an N/A i went out and got a stock Uk spec car. I drove it for 3 days then made my mind up the turbos must be broken as i was waiting for the face ripping time warp speed.

Needless to say the car was running fine BPU ftw

I was really surprised when I first bought my NA-6, it was a really nice car to drive and pulled very well through the gears, saying that I absolutely love my BPU Auto TT :D. Recently bought another NA as a project so it must have left me with a good impression.

Here's a contrarian view: I think chasing more performance or power (and especially chasing bhp figures) can lead to disillusionment with these cars. If you enjoy modding and spending significant time tinkering with the car, then great, but if the modding is just a means to an end to get more power then beware. You'll always fancy more power, so you'll never be satisfied.

One thing I like about my NA is that it's pretty robust, easy to look after, I can tinker with it if I want, or I can leave it a year between services if I want. It's easy to live with, and still puts a smile on my face, a smile that isn't dependent on my top speed.

It's a hard phenomenon to describe. In the same way, I reckon I'd have more fun around a track in an MX5 or an 2nd gen MR2 than something exotic like a Ferrari or a Veyron. Maybe it's because I don't have the skills to use the Veyron to anywhere near it's maximum, whereas put me in an MX5 and I'd go slower, but I'd have a hoot.

Here's a contrarian view: I think chasing more performance or power (and especially chasing bhp figures) can lead to disillusionment with these cars. If you enjoy modding and spending significant time tinkering with the car, then great, but if the modding is just a means to an end to get more power then beware. You'll always fancy more power, so you'll never be satisfied.

One thing I like about my NA is that it's pretty robust, easy to look after, I can tinker with it if I want, or I can leave it a year between services if I want. It's easy to live with, and still puts a smile on my face, a smile that isn't dependent on my top speed.

It's a hard phenomenon to describe. In the same way, I reckon I'd have more fun around a track in an MX5 or an 2nd gen MR2 than something exotic like a Ferrari or a Veyron. Maybe it's because I don't have the skills to use the Veyron to anywhere near it's maximum, whereas put me in an MX5 and I'd go slower, but I'd have a hoot.

Good post and something I have been guilty of several times over !

Do you think going from manual to auto had anything to do with it? I found I had more enjoyment out of my two NA manuals than I did in my TT auto.

I'm with you on this. When I first saw this thread it was what popped into my head but I didn't want to offend the auto drivers ;)

Do you think going from manual to auto had anything to do with it? I found I had more enjoyment out of my two NA manuals than I did in my TT auto.

I'm with you on this. When I first saw this thread it was what popped into my head but I didn't want to offend the auto drivers ;)

It's not a case of offending the Auto drivers, it's everyone to their own and all that.

I had a facelift NA and I had a hoot with it. I questioned the power and the fact it had J spec brakes. In the end I sold in in search of a TT.

After plumping for a VVTi Tiptronic three years ago I have struggled to justify the use of the car. I never "just" go for a drive in it and if it wasn't for meets and events I would have sold it. Long story short, I will be looking for a mint NA 5 or 6 speed in the future as TT driving is not all it is cracked up to be IMO. Going BPU has made little difference to my opinion as I now have a car that is stupidly quick and that in itself is wonderful. When you consider that within 5 - 10 seconds I am in licence losing territory with a job that needs me to have a licence it doesn't really add up.

I think people become obsessed with beating some chav at the lights than actually having the car they want. Who cares if an Astra VXR is quicker?

Only thing that bothers me is that I love the look of our Supe and I would hate to change again and start over getting a car the way I want it to look.

H.

It's not a case of offending the Auto drivers, it's everyone to their own and all that.

I had a facelift NA and I had a hoot with it. I questioned the power and the fact it had J spec brakes. In the end I sold in in search of a TT.

After plumping for a VVTi Tiptronic three years ago I have struggled to justify the use of the car. I never "just" go for a drive in it and if it wasn't for meets and events I would have sold it. Long story short, I will be looking for a mint NA 5 or 6 speed in the future as TT driving is not all it is cracked up to be IMO. Going BPU has made little difference to my opinion as I now have a car that is stupidly quick and that in itself is wonderful. When you consider that within 5 - 10 seconds I am in licence losing territory with a job that needs me to have a licence it doesn't really add up.

I think people become obsessed with beating some chav at the lights than actually having the car they want. Who cares if an Astra VXR is quicker?

Only thing that bothers me is that I love the look of our Supe and I would hate to change again and start over getting a car the way I want it to look.

H.

I was saying it with a fair amount of tongue in cheek :D

My BM is auto and fairly similar performance to the TT, I just feel that it's missing something when it comes to spirited driving. It's not really to do with the speed that I go at, it's all about how I get there and the control I have during the drive.

Don't get me wrong, the slush box is absolutely fantastic and not without it's own merits. I love just being able to point and shoot.... but.... if I could, I would have a manual.

I just think that, in this instance, it's what's missing from the ops drive.

ive said this time and time again..........................

when looking for my supra i could afford tt or a single but went for an na as reliability is far more important to me than bhp, infact i could easily get a conversion now but not a chance would i do it.

When i had my car on the track i loved it even more, the j spec brakes never ever let me down and i could easily out brake everything, Ive often questioned the people who say they HAD to uprade the j specs as they dont fade at all,

Ive done turbo before and i got sick off issues and the love died in the end hence never going there again for me personaly

Love my na engine with manual box, i often air my view on auto but just incase anyone missed it..................... im not 65 yet and wouldnt want to annoy pedestrians with my annoying droans.

that is all.

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)