The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Monkeys 550bhp Na-T Build

monkey76364

Well it's been a long time since I have started a thread on here but here goes...

Having had my 3rd Supra n/a now for around 16 months and having driven around 400 miles in that time (I know not very good is it), I decided I wanted to be little different and more extreme with the n/a without going for the normal TT engine swap. So I had a look around on here, as you do, and noticed that Paul at Whifbitz had a kit that looked a lot better than a lot of those cheap Ebay kits that you can get, and knowing his good reputation decided to have a chat with him about what i was after. Having sent a few emails asking plenty of silly questions about what mods were needed to get serious power from the engine. I seemed to get the timing of this project right as it was just as Paul was about to release the new version of his n/a-t kit, so I decided to take the plunge and order the kit that was advertised with dyno sheets to run at around 400bhp but I wasn't happy to stop there and wanted a greater figure to show that the n/a engine can have the power without having to swap engines (I knew this was not going to be cheap), after many chats with Paul and countless emails sent back and forward he helped get a list of mods that we hope will get the car to around 550bhp.

So I set up my account on the Whifbitz website and started to make my wish list, this wasn't just just for engine mods but for few other cosmetic parts that I wanted to get as well... If your going to do something then you may as well go all in! It is also very easy to start adding lots of little bits that soon add up too.

So the initial order was placed and then more and more added to it. With all the power that we are looking to get the main problem was always going to be the gearbox so after reading many threads on here and other places and a few chats with people (thank you to those on here) the choice was made to send off for an Autobox from Boostlogic. The box should be able to take around 600bhp so should be just right for this project.

So this is the list that I have ended up with so far and I'm sure things will be added to it. Once the car has come back from Paul, and that could be some time, it will be off to a friends to have a full respray as the paint isn't that good in places and the front bumper needs looking at. Plus i did end up getting a Trial Rear bumper last week that needs to be fitted as well.

I will keep this updated as thing progress over the coming weeks.... I can't wait!

Engine

Whifbitz Na-t Turbo Kit

Greddy Emanage with 3 bar Map Sensor

Whifbitz Emanage Loom Adaptor

Whifbitz Stage 1 Catch Tank

Asnu Performance Injectors

Greddy Profec B Spec 2 Boost Controller

Whifbitz 3" exhaust system

Whifbitz Camshaft Pullys

Whifbitz 19 Row Oil Cooler

Gates Cambelt

Whifbitz Electric Fan Kit

Whifbitz 72Deg Thermostat

Whifbitz Aluminum Radiator

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Whifbitz Autobox Oil Cooler

Toyota Piston Ring Set

1.2mm Head Gasket

Clevite Bearing set

APR Head Stud Kit

APR Main Stud Kit

APR Conrod Bolt Kit

As well as all the normal parts like new oil filter, fuel filter, oil pump ect

Gearing

Boostlogic Auto Gearbox

Precision Torque Converter

Whifbitz Diff Mount Kit

TRD LSD Diff

Suspension

BC Racing Coilover Kit

Titan Motorsport Anti Roll Bar Kit

Toyota Front & Rear Anti Roll Bar Link

Superpro Polly Bush Kit

Whifbitz Solid Subframe Kit

Brakes

K-Sport 356mm Front 7 Rear Breaks

Wheels

Rota Force 18" alloys

Other parts

Whifbitz Front & Rear Strut Brace

Whifbitz Carbon Rear Low Spoiler

Facelift Rear Lights

Facelift Head Lights

Fibreglass Due Pillar Pod

Seibon TS Carbon Bonnet

Defi Water Temp Gauge

Defi Oil Temp Gauge

AEM AFR Gauge

Whifbitz Carbon Windscreen Panel

ARP Carbon Cooling Panel

Carbing 4pt Roll Cage

Edited by monkey76364 (see edit history)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aspire

nice, are you asking whiffin to do it because your unsure to attempt it yourself or just the peace of mind when its all done you just pay and drive off?

I don't have the knowledge or know how let alone half the tools to do it myself. With the amount of money most the parts cost I wouldn't want to do my rough job on it and hope it works, then to spend the next 2 years not driving it as I can't find the problems.

Plus after this there is still a lot more to be be done on the car inside an out :)

Oh and of course there is the little addition of the seats I got my hands on a couple of weeks back thanks to someone here ...

Pics fitted to come :)

Well the first update is back from Whifbitz as they got started on the car, still waiting on parts to be delivered.

One of the first things to go ahead was changing the suspension, what’s the point of all the power if the car hasn’t got the handling to take it, power is nothing without control. This is just one of the first in the line of modifications to help the handling.

So off with the old original leaking shocks and on with the brand new nice and shiny BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers. I hope these will really make a huge difference in the way the car feels and sticks to the road.

And for more grip we are fitting these rather tasty Rota Force 9×18 and 10.5×18 alloy wheels. These are fitted with 245/35 front tyres and massive 295/30×18 rear tyres, not only does this combination look good but it will increase the grip levels massively. The rear wheel arches had to be rolled to fit this size of wheel/tyre on the back.

The nice Carbon bonnet has also been fitted, not the sort of thing you want taking up all the room in the side of the workshop.

Now that you've changed to the Do-Luck front will you be wanting an FMIC to fill the big mouth of the bumper or just sticking with the SMIC?

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, a big list and a promising looking build with the Whifbitz kit!

Now that you've changed to the Do-Luck front will you be wanting an FMIC to fill the big mouth of the bumper or just sticking with the SMIC?

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, a big list and a promising looking build with the Whifbitz kit!

We were going with the side mount when we did the first run through all the parts but that was aiming at around the 400bhp figure. Now we are trying for 550bhp a nice big FMIC will be going on.

The front bumper is a mess and needs a good tidy up.

• 2 weeks later...
We were going with the side mount when we did the first run through all the parts but that was aiming at around the 400bhp figure. Now we are trying for 550bhp a nice big FMIC will be going on.

The front bumper is a mess and needs a good tidy up.

Good man :D

I've got the same problem with a Top Secret front, big empty looking mouth at the front that could do with an FMIC so hopefully I can do a deal with Whifbitz on one instead of the side mount option.

• 1 month later...

Ok a little update on this:

Ok so now we have fitted a full Superpro poly bush kit to the Supra. The Superpro poly bush kit replaces all of the stock suspension arm bushes, front and rear, replacing the worn out standard bushes that have been on the car for 20 years! The Superpro poly bush kits really transform the handling and the way the Supra feels on the road, especially when combined with an anti roll bar upgrade and coil over kit. On the car and to no suprise every nut and bolt on the suspension was seized solid, this will not have help with the way the car was previously handling. So we replaced all of the suspension nuts and bolts with new Toyota parts, once setup all of these parts will transform the way the car will handle I hope anyway.

Next we removed and refitted the diff and rear subframe to fit our Whifbitz Supra solid subframe and diff mounts to the car. The Whifbitz diff mount set, CNC machined from aluminium and steel, these parts are designed to eliminate wheel hop and stop any movement in the drivetrain. As the cars are getting older and older we are seeing more and more of the stock bushes wearing out increasing movement which causes the diff to move around, not what you need.

The diff mount kit comes with:

Aluminium diff ear mounts, these simply press into the diff after removal of your standard mounts. Anodised blue for a fantastic long lasting finish. Steel weld in rear mounts, these needs to be welded in replacing the standard mounts

The rear subframe kit comes with:

Aluminium rear subframe front mounts, these replace the stock rubber bushes which must be removed the subframe. The replacement aluminium bushes push into the holes, no need for a press. Aluminium rear subframe rear mounts including anti roll bar mounds, all built in. Simple remove your standard rubber mounts and fit these replacements

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

We started assembling the engine back together today. To take the extra boost we are going to be running with this build the engine needed the compression ratio lowering. To do this we fitted a good used set of standard Supra 2JZ-GTE TT pistons with brand new Toyota piston rings and a Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE TT head gasket, these 2 modifications will provide a low enough compression ratio to run 1.5 bar boost no problem.

engine.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

engine5.jpg

engine6.jpg

engine7.jpg

engine8.jpg

engine9.jpg

The engine is really coming along now, its pretty much back together now. As you can see from the pictures I went with our Whifbitz 2JZ adjustable cam pulleys, along with our lightweight Whifbitz 2JZ engine pulley set in blue. I'm also going with one of our Whifbitz twin electric fan kits so for that extra touch we fitted one of our Whifbitz billet water pump covers finish off the water pump.

This build needed some larger injectors so we went with the Asnu Performance 800cc 2JZ-GE drop in injectors, these fit straight into the standard fuel rail and plug into the standard Toyota engine loom so no cutting needed. These will easily supply enough fuel for the 550bhp that we have planned.

engine12.jpg

engine13.jpg

engine14.jpg

I'm lucky to have the first production version of our Whifbitz NA-T 2JZ-GE manifold fitted to his car. I think the manifold offers great value for money whilst still performing well enough for the engine to produce its 550bhp target.

engine15.jpg

engine16.jpg

Yay... the engine is now fitted back in the car. As you can see from the pictures the cam covers, turbo housing and inlet plenum have all be highly polished. Please ignore the manky looking engine cover and rusty pulleys, we will be paying attention to those parts later.

enginebay.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

enginebay3.jpg