The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Al Jourgensen - Ministry owned and killed at least two Supras

Pete

Most of you probably have no idea who Uncle Al is, but he's a pretty big deal in the music world having done some pretty influential stuff in his time.

I've been reading the book of his on holiday and was surprised to see he owned a Supra. One he flipped in front of a bunch of FBI agents, another he nearly fell off a cliff onto a house.

I'll try to copy and paste out the references in the book later, meanwhile I searched online and found this little tid bit in Googles cache:

Auto Erotica

By Al Jourgensen

Daddy was a stock car driver. Now if that doesn't sound like the first line of a country song, get out of the car right now. My father started out racing, but he kept making friends with the walls. So he became a crew mechanic. I got to be in the pit at the Indy 500 when I was six, when he was working for Dan Gurney. And it's funny - that got me interested in music, even more than cars. The loudness of the whole thing was overwhelming. In "Jesus Built My Hotrod" we sample one of those drag-strip announcers shouting, 'Sounds so powerful,loud enough to knock you down!.' And that's the way it felt in the pit.

I still go to monster truck pulls, just to get my dick off on the sound, the power. Because this is a dying age. The indrustrial age is over. Fossil fuels are gonna be over, and this is our last chance to see it. I don't think our kids, when they get to be our age, are going to be saying to each other 'Monster truck pull tonight dear?'

Lately I've thought about racing, like my dad. First I'd race midgets, on dirt tracks, then work my way up. Eventually I'd like to race Formula One cars.

Right now my racing career consists of out racing cops. And I can outrun the cops fine; it's the police radio I can never beat.

The reason I can outrun those Texas state troopers so thoroughly is because of what I am driving. The best car I own is my '94 twin-turbo Toyota Supra. It'll do zero to sixty in 4.6; it's the fastest production car in the world. Theoretically it'll do 180; I've had it going up to about 165, but the Supra's got a fuel shutoff chip that turns on at 160. Still, I had a wing put on it after i bought the car; you can get that done and a few extra bucks can get the fuel chip taken off as well.

The Supra's engine is about 360 hp, with a straight in-line six. For the money - I payed $43,000 - it's the best car on the road. I don't know how the Japanese do it. They can't be making any money on it. They just want to fuck with us, I think.

Other cars that I own: a Ferrari Mondial, which is fun to drive but, as is generally true with Italian cars, there are big problems with the electonics. At first it was fine, even when I put a $12,000 stereo system in. But as soon as soon as I put an alarm system in - bingo - toast. It constantly blew fuses. I've also got a '77 Avanti, which is real nice. Especially since it belonged to Jim Ellison of Material Issue and so remains a rock car. It looks like a goddamn James Bond vehicle. The Avanti is white, one of the few things that I own that isn't black. It doesn't have a grill on the front - there's no chrome, no bumper, the front just goes straight down. Wire-rim wheels, with a 350 engine. The rest of it's basically an old Studebaker, and in fact the Avanti was made at the old Studebaker plant in Indiana. Not a real fast car, but a good cruiser, and it pulls of more stares than the Toyota and Ferrari combined. Then there's my '73 Opel GT;'73 is the last year they made them. It looks like sombody crossed a Corvette and a Daytona car and put it in the microwave.

Visitors to the REVCO world headquarters drive my '66 Mustang 289. I shot a few rounds into the Mustang one night - out in the country, what the hell? But I'd been drinking and I missed the car. Then I got really mad and threw the gun in the pool. It was obviously dysfunctional, if it can't hit a real Mustang at 10 feet. Ironically, the fastest thing I own might be my truck, a 58 Chevy Apache with a 406. We built it from the ground up. It's fully boarded, probably has about 460 hp, and is black with orange flames - jeez, how tacky, how power,power,power can you get?

But the truth is, out here in the sticks, I need them. In more ways than one. There's a story about Tammy Wynette trying to keep Geroge Jones sober by hiding the car keys. Fat chance - he hopped onto the lawn mower and cruised 17 miles to the next town. The police pulled him over for driving a lawn mower. The point is, you got to be mobile. The other point is, I got to be mobile to keep sane. Look,at this point, Ministry would be happy just being the worlds biggest Fugazi. To get any bigger, it would just be too ridiculous. I mean, I've seen Eddie Vedder come out disguised as a Hasidic Jew,right down to the hat and hair, just to be able to go out. That's so sad.

I've heard people complain that drag racing's about cubic money, not cubic inches. Well Jesus, look at the music biz. It's not art, it's not music, it's just about units now. I hate going on tour. I'd rather be in the studio twiddling knobs, collecting royalty checks.

Driving is exactly the same for me as being in the studio: "Let's see how loud we can get this." It's a cathartic thing, and I like the anonymity.

There's a long empty strip of highway between Austin and the hill country whare I live. It's like driving through the black forest on the autobahn. Sometimes I'll just pull over and stare at the universe. The stars out here are just incredible. You can see everything. I'd love to hit a meteor shower; that would just blow me away.

To me, an ex-addict who was on and off for about fifteen years, driving really helps me keep off. I kneed to keep busy, or find a rush - sky diving, bull riding. I have to be propelled by some form of danger. Every time you stick a needle in your arm, you could die. You never fucking know. And if you're driving 140 around a curve, you never know if their's going to be a big-ass buck right around it. The deer are everywhere out here. It's like a Nintendo game, and you gotta be alert. Some people need that and some don't. Me, I've gotta have it.