The mkiv Supra Owners Club

winter wheel refurb

Bossco

I've been cleaning up a set of stock UK wheels for the winter as there is no way my newly refurbed volks are spending December and January under a foot of snow. Quite happy with the results.

I started by taking a wire wheel and my drill to the wheel to remove all the dirt and rubbish. Then a file around the edge to remove the kerb marks.

Once this was done I gave them a clean up ready for primer, masking off the tyre and valve.

Then came the wet and dry. I used 800 grit ans the wheels were already smooth from the previous steps. I didn't get any pictures at this point because I was too dirty to pic up my phone.

On goes the paint. I did want to do these pink or hulk green but Halfords only had black. Bit gutted really, had I of known they would have turned out this well I'd have held on for a more ridiculous colour.

The centre caps were a different story. The primer took well but the paint reacted and bubbled and ran all over the place. They need sanding and starting all over. I'll get a few more pics up when wheel number 4 is done and the centre caps are finished. They should be on the car in a few weeks. Don't think I'll be putting Ibrar out of business any time soon :)

Started on the last wheel this morning along with the centre caps.

Wheel cleaned and ready for primer.

Primed up ready for paint

Here's what the centre caps looked like after their reaction last week.

Quick bit of sanding and here's how they look now.

If it stays dry all day I'll have these ready for paint for tomorrow.

Edited by Bossco (see edit history)