The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast road / track users!! Advice please,

Guest Bborat

Hi guys, after owning sx,s & skyline,s (1 of which was very track / fast road oriented 600+hp, D2,s cage etc) I've now bought a TT 6 project that needs some work but mechanically seems very sound indeed, if there are any points that I've missed or are worth a mention then please add it on, I don't use cars purely for track but I'm used to firm rides in the name of handling, and I'm not sure on if I'm going to cage this one or not,,, depends largely on 1,st question(mind you what's the chances of someone fitting in the back)

1, If I re-shell and will end up doing track stuff (ring) etc would it be a bad move getting an aero top? I'm guessing its a no, no for serious track due to roof strength etc but i may not go quite so nuts with this one so is there serious disadvantages of going topless (obviously not in Helen flannigan,s case)

2, wheels, I'm thinking 18,s here, but have no idea of what widths for tyres and offsets

3, brakes,,, having had certain cars that do, and some that don't need almost immediate brake upgrades what's the crack with the supra ones? Advice would be appreciated..

4, handling, what sort of stuff generally needs doing to tighten (if even nesasary) the car up? Arb upgrades? Adjustable arms, shocks etc?? (Some names of stuff you guys use would be good, (whitline, tein flex mono,) you get the idea,,

Thanks for reading and I hope some of you will be good enough to give me some pointers

Bborat (Alex)

supras handle a lot better then people make them out to be. It just takes a good driver to get it round a corner.

What kind of hp are you going for? the supra UK brakes with track pads will be good up to 500bhp anymore then that on track you will probably need to upgrade.

You can barely fit anyone in the back of a supra nevermind having a rollcage and someone in the back.

BC Racing, Tein coilovers are all good. personally tyre size i would go with 275 rear 245 fronts. but each person to their own.

in simple words a supra needs good coilovers and tyres. Once you get them the car will handle extremely well, Obviously theirs more things to improve it further. Just make sure you keep the balance right. Stripping out the rear and lightening the car at the rear but not balancing it with the front it will be extremely tail happy

supras handle a lot better then people make them out to be. It just takes a good driver to get it round a corner.

What kind of hp are you going for? the supra UK brakes with track pads will be good up to 500bhp anymore then that on track you will probably need to upgrade.

You can barely fit anyone in the back of a supra nevermind having a rollcage and someone in the back.

BC Racing, Tein coilovers are all good. personally tyre size i would go with 275 rear 245 fronts. but each person to their own.

in simple words a supra needs good coilovers and tyres. Once you get them the car will handle extremely well, Obviously theirs more things to improve it further. Just make sure you keep the balance right. Stripping out the rear and lightening the car at the rear but not balancing it with the front it will be extremely tail happy

Braided line and race brake fluid are also a must, the main problem you will face as I'm sure you know will be heat and fade on the brakes.

Hi guys, after owning sx,s & skyline,s (1 of which was very track / fast road oriented 600+hp, D2,s cage etc) I've now bought a TT 6 project that needs some work but mechanically seems very sound indeed, if there are any points that I've missed or are worth a mention then please add it on, I don't use cars purely for track but I'm used to firm rides in the name of handling, and I'm not sure on if I'm going to cage this one or not,,, depends largely on 1,st question(mind you what's the chances of someone fitting in the back)

1, If I re-shell and will end up doing track stuff (ring) etc would it be a bad move getting an aero top? I'm guessing its a no, no for serious track due to roof strength etc but i may not go quite so nuts with this one so is there serious disadvantages of going topless (obviously not in Helen flannigan,s case)

2, wheels, I'm thinking 18,s here, but have no idea of what widths for tyres and offsets

3, brakes,,, having had certain cars that do, and some that don't need almost immediate brake upgrades what's the crack with the supra ones? Advice would be appreciated..

4, handling, what sort of stuff generally needs doing to tighten (if even nesasary) the car up? Arb upgrades? Adjustable arms, shocks etc?? (Some names of stuff you guys use would be good, (whitline, tein flex mono,) you get the idea,,

Thanks for reading and I hope some of you will be good enough to give me some pointers

Bborat (Alex)

1. If you are going to use it for track use get a hardtop and think about getting a welded cage. There really is no point (as nice as they are) using an Aerotop on track.

2. 18" wheels is generally the max you want to run without ruining handling I run 18" (cant remember the offsets).

3. UK's spec brakes with braided hoses, descent pads and fluid are good for the Majority of fast road/track use, if you want a better pedal feel then get a BBK kit these will also be lighter than the stock UK spec kit (loosing unsprung weight is a big deal when it comes to setting a car up) they probably wont increase your braking power (as large part of braking depends on what tyres you will be using) but if you want repeat performance without any chance of them fading (even though the UK's are still pretty dam good) then its a worth while investment.

4. A Number of things that can be done it depends on how much you want to spend. So First stop is set a budget for this bit as the prices can skyrocket (Hundreds to many thousands of pounds) due to the number of things you can do. Once you have set one come back and ask what can be done with the budget you have would be my best advice.

I would also factor in cooling mods for Oil, PAS and Engine Coolant.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Lol, thanks for pointers, with regard the roll cage, I actually meant its not like you'd carry many people in the back, so a roll cage wouldn't really be robbing room from anyone. Cheers though all points are being taken on board here.

Oh and the car is already approaching 500hp so I think 18,s at the sizes you've put and big brakes are a go-er too... Much appreciated.

I can't remember its technical name but there is a brace you can get that attaches from the brake master cylinder to the top of the suspension turret to stop it flexing under braking.

Cusco brake master cylinder stopper.

Or you can get a Carbing Strut brace with it on.

On my last Supra I had the Carbing brace with stopper but I felt it didn't make a huge difference.

1. If you are going to use it for track use get a hardtop and think about getting a welded cage. There really is no point (as nice as they are) using an Aerotop on track.

2. 18" wheels is generally the max you want to run without ruining handling I run 18" (cant remember the offsets).

3. UK's spec brakes with braided hoses, descent pads and fluid are good for the Majority of fast road/track use, if you want a better pedal feel then get a BBK kit these will also be lighter than the stock UK spec kit (loosing unsprung weight is a big deal when it comes to setting a car up) they probably wont increase your braking power (as large part of braking depends on what tyres you will be using) but if you want repeat performance without any chance of them fading (even though the UK's are still pretty dam good) then its a worth while investment.

4. A Number of things that can be done it depends on how much you want to spend. So First stop is set a budget for this bit as the prices can skyrocket (Hundreds to many thousands of pounds) due to the number of things you can do. Once you have set one come back and ask what can be done with the budget you have would be my best advice.

I would also factor in cooling mods for Oil, PAS and Engine Coolant.

Brill info there cheers, tbh I've got to head off back to work in a few days, so trying to compile a list to get started with, out of interest have/do people on here use meth injection kits to get temps down? If not is anyone interested? A good mate of mine is the uk distributer of devils own,,

And yeah, think the aero thing isn't really for me... Look nice but not practical in a track sense..

Brill info there cheers, tbh I've got to head off back to work in a few days, so trying to compile a list to get started with, out of interest have/do people on here use meth injection kits to get temps down? If not is anyone interested? A good mate of mine is the uk distributer of devils own,,

And yeah, think the aero thing isn't really for me... Look nice but not practical in a track sense..

You'll be needing a full paid membership and an accepted trader application to sell things on here :)

You'll be needing a full paid membership and an accepted trader application to sell things on here :)

Oh yeah I realise that, it was just a comment / question, I'll have a word and see if he might be interested. Sorry if you thought I was touting.