The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oem wheel paint removal for refurb

Iky

Ive used it on revolution 4 spoke mini wheels years ago did the trick,was only on the spokes thou not near the edge of rims/tyres

I might buy a small can and give it a shot.

It will work but will take a long time, the best way is pay a small price and have them dipped in acid.

I don't really know anywhere local that offers this service. But will ask around. Thanks.

Working in partnership with a leading chemical company a solution was developed which we believe to be the most wood friendly chemical to date.

We can strip doors, furniture, metal, MDF and veneers, kitchen cabinet doors, alloy wheels, powder coating, etc.

We care for our customers, proven by bulk order discounts, free estimates over the phone and handstripping using the latest flowover system.

We have undertaken many large contracts for many local authorities, stripping paint and stripping varnish. We dip strip and hand strip and have dipped doors for many large building companies in Yorkshire and Lancashire, please contact us for further information.

Taken from their homepage on their website :rolleyes:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Paint stripper has been Euro executed.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3446841&viewfull=1#post3446841

The active ingredient has been declared bad for the environment and Nitromors double strength is now so weak you can rub it on your genitals in place of Durex tingle creams.

Professional vat stripping is your only chemical option.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Do things need to be stripped before you media blast them? What's the point of that.

If you strip in phosphoric acid then 95 to 100% of the wheel will be back to the aluminium and only

require a small amount of media blasting if at all.

If you use a media in a normal blasting cabinet it would take quite a while to achieve the same results.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Working in partnership with a leading chemical company a solution was developed which we believe to be the most wood friendly chemical to date.

We can strip doors, furniture, metal, MDF and veneers, kitchen cabinet doors, alloy wheels, powder coating, etc.

We care for our customers, proven by bulk order discounts, free estimates over the phone and handstripping using the latest flowover system.

We have undertaken many large contracts for many local authorities, stripping paint and stripping varnish. We dip strip and hand strip and have dipped doors for many large building companies in Yorkshire and Lancashire, please contact us for further information.

Taken from their homepage on their website :rolleyes:

I read that bit as well before I called. i should have queried why it still said it on the website but didn't.

Paint stripper has been Euro executed.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3446841&viewfull=1#post3446841

The active ingredient has been declared bad for the environment and Nitromors double strength is now so weak you can rub it on your genitals in place of Durex tingle creams.

Professional vat stripping is your only chemical option.

Lol,

My initial plan to use some sort of paint stripper then media blast them myself with the simple equipment i have here.

Thinking it would be easier once the paint is softened/peeling. i don't have a cabinet, just an unused room (ladies lav) and one of those little clarke blasting guns.

I think i will try the Nitromors.

Thanks Dunk, already tried a few. most want £50 plus. :(

I'll give it a go myself. Then if it balls up i'll let someone else do it. :D

I've powdercoated wheels in the past but never done proper full on detailed refurb.

As David said Nitromors is absolutely useless these days and expensive for just a small can. You'll end up spending the same in cans of Nitromors to do 4 wheels as it would cost to get them media blasted, plus it's a whole lot less messy.

That's what i'm thinking at the moment. But just had an Idea - I'll ask one of the neighbours, I think he's a decorator. If he has a bit I could test.

NITROMORS FTMFW!

O.K, turns out my wheels are not as OEM as i thought :)

They must have been refurbed in the past, it looks like a rough-ish sandblasted finish on the spokes but the lips have been machined on a lathe possibly to even out curbing?

After about 1 hour I have fully stripped the front face of two wheels. It literally took minutes for the paint to bubble up after applying it.

A 5 year old Nitromors tin seemed to be the most effective (and smelliest) I bought two small ones and it seems the new stuff which is green coloured as appose to the old clear one. Slightly less effective but just takes a tad longer.

Photos to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found my data cable so I thought I'd update with photos because I know you like them. :)

This is after 5 minutes of Nitromors. They look like they have been blasted already in the past but with a very course grit. Hence why the old paint was a little rough.

All stripped, I'm assuming they have been put on a Lathe as the rim is all smooth? I ended up blasting them all over again with a finer sand. Kiln dried paving sand from B&Q to be exact :D

And powdercoated in sparkle silver and clearcoated.

A close up to show you the colour. Looks great when the light hits it :cool:

Now the only problem is getting some wet paint mixed up so I can pint the centre caps. The clearcoat on the wheels yellowed slightly probably due to a too high baking temperature. I must have spent about £20 on Nitromors so not bad.

Edited by Iky (see edit history)