The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra vs MR2 vs Celica

Guest acid667

Guest acid667

Just out of interest I wanted to know peoples opinoins on the cousin cars of the supra.

from talking to various owners of both on other forums the jist I've got is that the MR2 Turbo would match if not slightly better the Supra TT in the 0 - 60 stakes but the TT would take over at 80mph+

Most said that the NA supra would not be able to keep up wiht an MR2 and the handling of either Supra would be of a lower level than a MR2.

The celica owners seemed to think that the turbo Celica would easily outdo the NA supra and should keep up nicely with the TT.

Opinions anyone?:flame Dev

Having owned an MR2, and now owning another MR2, an N/A Supra and a TT Supra, I can say the following...

N/A Supra is slower than a MR2 Turbo, but given the weight difference is that any surprise?

MR2 Turbo may well hold it's own against relatively stock TTs, but the Supra wont stop pulling until 170 whereas the MR2 has stopped long before that.

Having owned both I would say the Supra has much more control than the MR2. The MR2 is more nippy, but you could say the same about a Nissan Micra versus a Supra, size and weight is the big factor there. But as people of this years gumball will tell you, give me and my TT and a long, fast, twisty country road with a rock face one side and a drop off the other.... and I'll still plant the pedal to the floor and not stop until... well obviously 60mph because any more than that would be illegal. :innocent:

So I disagree that the Supra is less controlable that the MR2. As stock maybe, but with some good tyres,wheels and breaks the car feels much more safer and in control. :)

As for the Celica... I've not owned one so I don't know.

People seem to underestimate the Supra it seems.

Best figures I can find from the net:

Car (BHP) 0-60 0-100 1/4 mile

Supra TT (326) 5.1 13.2 13.7

MR2 Turbo 94 (245) 5.5 13.9 13.9

Celica ST205 import (255) 5.3 14.5 14.00

Celica ST205 (239) 5.7 15.9 14.4

MR2 Turbo 89 (225) 6.0 15.4 14.4

Supra SZR (225) 6.5 17.1 14.9

Celica GT (173) 7.1 ?? 15.6

Celica 190 (189) 7.2 19.2 15.6

MR2 GT (168) 7.4 ?? 15.8

Celica ST185 (205) 7.1 21.3 15.9

MR2 vvti (138) 7.5 22.9 15.9

So comparing stock cars, no Celica or MR2 should ever be able to pull on a Supra TT, although it'd be close with an imported MR2 Turbo or GT4 up thru 100 or so.

Comparing like with like, none of the NA Celicas or MR2s would hold a candle to the NA Supra.

As for handling, I'd be suprised if an MR2 could out handle a Supra, assuming a good driver in both. I'd have thought a GT4 would have a much better chance, being 4WD.

:looney:

I used to have an import celica gt4 (st205) with a one or two mods, had it dyno'd at 305bhp with 284ft lb, was a really quick car, it felt faster than my stock auto TT.

But now my TT has been decated i think the celica would have struggled against it in a straight line, round the twisties though and the celica would eat the supra any day, especially in the wet. Cant really compare 4wd and rwd though :D

They are each quick in their own way. I have imported all 3 - a Supra TT, an ST205 GT4 and a rev.3 MR2 Turbo.

Supra - we all know already.

MR2 Turbo - More chuckable really and I'd say quicker down a tight backroad because of it's go-kart likeness but if it's a not so tight backroad the Supra would keep up. Responds very well to modding and can see 12 sec 1/4's with basic mods. I've witnessed this.

ST205 GT4 - Again more nimble than the Supra and would win down a tight backroad, slightly quicker than the MR2 with it's 4WD and excellent stock package in terms of large (similar to UK spec Supra) brakes and a chargecooler that doesn't suffer from heatsoak. Again, same engine as the rev.3 MR2 turbo with slightly more power and mod potential owing to the excellent chargecooler. I've managed a 12.8 second 1/4 mile in one with just gutted cat, custom 3" zorst, boost at 16psi tops with an EBC and an Apexi induction kit.

What I'd say is that the MR2 and GT4 are quicker real world cars in terms of day to day driving but the Supra is the quicker car when you get to silly speeds above 120mph.

Cheers,

Brian.