The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De-lining head lights.

nevins

Hmm thats that out the window then. Will just fit the uks so kindly donated to me by alex when he comes down from scotland, his supra is going to be full of goodies for me lol.

And me ;)

He's got a set of pre-facelift rear lights for me so I can attempt an LED conversion :D

Nice to see you back Nevins :cool:

I'm not sure that it does cause problems on pre-facelifts, there were quite a few pre-facelift guys that fitted the clear lenses and it was debated then, you might get some joy on the topic if you search for clear lenses (rather than de-lining)

Edit: original topic on the clear lenses is here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?101240-Replacement-Clear-Headlight-Lens-(Merged)&highlight=clear+lenses

Edited by jim (see edit history)

Made no odds that I noticed bud. The lenses will give a cleaner pattern but I don't think it's out with what a non-projection headlight would do anyway. With the projection headlights it's very hard to go wrong to be honest. A bit of adjustment should see them well within what is required.

No difference between facelifts and pre-facelifts with regards to the beam pattern and how they come about. It's all projection, shiney surfaces are not used for anything in the headlights (pre-facelifts use the metal plate under the sidelight to help make it brighter but that's it).

Nice to see you back Nevins :cool:

I'm not sure that it does cause problems on pre-facelifts, there were quite a few pre-facelift guys that fitted the clear lenses and it was debated then, you might get some joy on the topic if you search for clear lenses (rather than de-lining)

Edit: original topic on the clear lenses is here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?101240-Replacement-Clear-Headlight-Lens-(Merged)&highlight=clear+lenses

Cheers mate it's good to be back

Made no odds that I noticed bud. The lenses will give a cleaner pattern but I don't think it's out with what a non-projection headlight would do anyway. With the projection headlights it's very hard to go wrong to be honest. A bit of adjustment should see them well within what is required.

No difference between facelifts and pre-facelifts with regards to the beam pattern and how they come about. It's all projection, shiney surfaces are not used for anything in the headlights (pre-facelifts use the metal plate under the sidelight to help make it brighter but that's it).

Thanks Scott once the uks are on I'll have a play in work with them

When i did mine I tested the lights with the de-lined lenses and pre-facelight inners,

The lines on the pre-facelift lenses mainly scatter the light of high beam. Without, the beam is just pretty much a circular projection.

Im pretty sure as part of an MOT they are "supposed" to check the amount of scatter, but I have also heard on here from guys running clear lenses and pre-facelift inners and they haven't encountered a problem.

There is a bit as I recall in front of the main beam, probably to help attempt to direct the light to the left slightly from the main beam but I dont think this was all that noticable as the facelifts dont have it and their inners of the main beam is the same across both gens of lights.