The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some questions from a new member. Thanks!

mikyrc

Hi to everyone. I'm Miky from Spain.

I'm very newbie on the supra world. I currently own a Mitsu Eclipse turbo little modded, but in process of selling it and buying a Supra from Germany. (I need a left side steering wheel supra)

I have a few questions:

1- I've seen on a UK webpage talking about taking out only the last Cat converter, they say that if you run no cats, the boost

rises like crazy and maybe you could have even boost creep. So they recommend to leave the upper one. Also doing this you avoid using the O2 simulator.

What do you thing about that? Is better to take out the two cats or to leave the upper one?

If you take the two out and put a MBC all the boost problems are solved?

2- I saw somebody talking about blowing a FMS, what's a FMS?

3- Somebody was talking about his supra's HP "700rwhp (about 800rwhp in usa)". Are the HP in USA compared to other countries

measured different?

4- European and USA supras should have the same engines and same Horsepower, don't? (I do know that Japan version don't)

5- Is there any switch to turn off The Traction system inside the car, or the only method is taking out the fuse on the engine

compartment?

I have a lot to learn, please be patient with me. I do know a lot about eclipses but almost nothing about supras. I'm in a recycling process now. I just need info, info, info...

Thanks guys.

Hola Miky,

1. If you are getting a LHD soop, it will be Euro spec, so you can decat with no problems on the boosts, as they have a better wastegate diameter (IIRC) so don't suffer boost creep. Take both out, if it boosts to high, then stick a restrictor ring in.

2. FMS, no sure, maybe it was supposed to be an FMIC, front mounted intercooler.

3. Yes, the yanks seem to manage 300bhp extra from air filters and exhausts.

4. They both have the same engine, but the Japs have smaller injectors 440 not 550, and they have different turbos. The Euro spec can hold higher boost on the standard tubbies and is better witht he bigger injectors.

5. Yes you can turn the traction off with a button below the stereo, but it is crap and should be binned for Racelogic traction control.

Then enjoy the soop.

Ben..

P.S. Welcome to the site BTW. :thumbs:

Hey, Thankyou ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good to receive all those welcomes!!:D :D :D

Thanks for the answers.

But theere's some things that i need to clarify.

- What's LHD soop?

- 3 question I was asking is because if i don't misunderstood, somebody was talking that his car had 700HP that was equivalent to 800HP in USA¿¿¿???

I'm confused, but it seems that "1 european HP" is not the same that "1 american HP".

Is this true or am i very confused?

- "should be binned for Racelogic traction control" What's binned?

I don't understand this, sorry.:(

Regarding the horsepower, it's a gentle leg-pull on the tendency for Americans to overexaggerate their power readings :)

Binned = removed. The stock traction control is a hopeless and somewhat dangerous, many people remove it and replace it with an aftermarket product called "Racelogic Traction Control". It's a very very good traction control system that monitors your ABS sensors to detect wheel slip and cuts the fuel injectors (the stock system closes a throttle plate, and does this about three seconds after the slip event :eek: ). It reacts phenomenally quickly and it's got variable settings to allow say 10% wheelspin before it cuts in and keeps it at 10% wheelspin.

Everyone who has had it fitted swears by it, either for safety, driveability, or both. Some people don't want it or think they need it, the choice is yours.

-Ian

what he means about American HP Figures is they tend to be a bit generous, an american car with identical modifications to a european one always seems to claim to produce more power!

Binned means chucked away, the stock Traction control is pretty poor to put it lightly, Racelogic Traction control is a far better system.

A LHD soop is a Left Hand Drive Supra

oh and welcome to the site:)

edit - damn beaten to it again!:p

Oh, thankyou guys.

That's good info about the traction control. Shure the racelogic will be expensive!!

And about the horsepower, somebody just told me that in USA they use the SAE Horsepower mettering unit and that's different than our DIN units. That's why it's little different.

Now i'm starting to understand why my eclipse never had th amount of HP that they claim it should have at stock level.

You don't know the story but has been a headache to me.

Damn units!!

Check that:

Conversion tables