The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do stretched tyres perform

gt4tosupra

As title says really. I'm buying new wheels, i'm probably going for 8.5j all round, which means i wont be stretching tyres, but if i end up going 9.5-10j on the back, how would say a 245 40 perform on a rim that size?

I have 10J rears with 285s and 9.5J fronts with 245/40/18 and they're fine. They don't look stretched to me, and they're only one size lower than the optimal 255 or 265 on a 9.5J :)

Cheers guys. Reason i ask is when i had 275 35's on 10j 18's on the supra i didnt like it. So i dont wanna over-tyre the soarer and end up preferring the way it drives on the original 16's 225's right now.

So, if i was to go for 245 on 10j's on the rear, i'd have a decent amount of grip, but not too much for a bit of skidability?

There is a guy on the MB forum who runs his like this :taped:

Now that is a stretch !!!

255 on a 10" rim is not a stretch, not even according to guidelines and I am sure that Porsches run this much "stretch" as standard

- - - Updated - - -

There is a guy on the MB forum who runs his like this :taped:

Now that is a stretch !!!

255 on a 10" rim is not a stretch, not even according to guidelines and I am sure that Porsches run this much "stretch" as standard

I don't 'get' stretched tyres. :conf: The car's handling MUST be compromised / dangerous as a result of doing it AND it looks sh!t as well, like you bought the wrong size and thought "oh well, it'll do..." Baffling. :think:

The issues with what people class as stretch is that it is so diverse, I run 255 on a 10" rim some people calll that stretch where a friend of mine runs a 215 on a 10" and that is Stretch

The issues with what people class as stretch is that it is so diverse, I run 255 on a 10" rim some people calll that stretch where a friend of mine runs a 215 on a 10" and that is Stretch

Both a stretch IMO, just one is more extreme than the others.

To the op... what is your reasoning for wanting undersized tyres? The way I'm reading it is that you want decent grip? Seems strange to go down this route.

I have relatively stretched rear tyres and I hate the look. The grip was fine, at BPU, but I dare say it could be a lot better. Stretched tyres will be a LOT more twitchy in the bends and the limit will be a far more narrow zone.

Don't compromise on rubber if you actually want decent handling. If you're after the "stance" look then go for it, choose one though... you can't have both. Absolutely anything in between is compromising (guilty as charged but I got what I got with the wheels).