The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a quiet NA Exhaust? pref Videos!

rob_sri

Hi all!

At the moment I have a stainless powerflow system on my NA and its a little too loud for what I want..

I'm after something quiet as possible ideally especially at low RPM! i've had a little search about on the forum but not really found much info.

its so at least I can crawl out of my nice quiet little cul de sac without waking everyone up at night but i'd still like some noise when required!!

I like the look of the typical Jap can style.. HKS Silent looks nice.. just hope its as quiet as the name suggests :p

any suggestions/videos would be awesome :)

Thanks

Rob

Hi all!

At the moment I have a stainless powerflow system on my NA and its a little too loud for what I want..

I'm after something quiet as possible ideally especially at low RPM! i've had a little search about on the forum but not really found much info.

its so at least I can crawl out of my nice quiet little cul de sac without waking everyone up at night but i'd still like some noise when required!!

I like the look of the typical Jap can style.. HKS Silent looks nice.. just hope its as quiet as the name suggests :p

any suggestions/videos would be awesome :)

Thanks

Rob

HKS is pretty loud :) For what you want you would be better off installing a butterfly valve or another box to your exisiting system.

HKS Silent looks nice.. just hope its as quiet as the name suggests :p

The HKS Silent Hi-Power is exactly the same design as the normal Hi-Power, the only difference between them is that the Silent Hi Power is 100% stainless steel whilst the Hi Power is a mix of SS and mild steel. HKS make a version of the Silent Hi Power for the 2JZGE and 2JZGTE, the NA version has narrower piping but they are still loud, HKS figures for the NA version are 99Db with both cats fitted (stock NA exhaust is 85Db), with the cats removed it would be very loud.

Does the Powerflow exhaust have just a rear silencer or is there also a silencer on the mid pipe? If it currently only has the rear silencer, another option would be to get a 2nd silencer welded into the mid pipe, a large oval silencer should reduce the noise level significantly. I've recently had a small round Jetex silencer welded onto the Blitz NUR R exhaust on the MR2, space was limited but for such a small silencer it has made it a lot more civilised at tickover and around town.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

The HKS Silent Hi-Power is exactly the same design as the normal Hi-Power, the only difference between them is that the Silent Hi Power is 100% stainless steel whilst the Hi Power is a mix of SS and mild steel. HKS make a version of the Silent Hi Power for the 2JZGE and 2JZGTE, the NA version has narrower piping but they are still loud, HKS figures for the NA version are 99Db with both cats fitted (stock NA exhaust is 85Db), with the cats removed it would be very loud.

Does the Powerflow exhaust have just a rear silencer or is there also a silencer on the mid pipe? If it currently only has the rear silencer, another option would be to get a 2nd silencer welded into the mid pipe, a large oval silencer should reduce the noise level significantly. I've recently had a small round Jetex silencer welded onto the Blitz NUR R exhaust on the MR2, space was limited but for such a small silencer it has made it a lot more civilised at tickover and around town.

thanks mate, i forgot to mention I'm not a fan of the look of the rear box either on my system.. the tip is a little too short for my liking so ideally would want to replace the rear box anyway.. it is actually a twin box system im just wondering if there is any baffles in it!!

Got any videos mate?

a few people have recommended this twin box system... looks decent too!

No I don't personally, there is a thread on here of exhausts and a member called Animal had a full decat NA like mine and the same exhaust which sold it to me. Mine has got slightly louder over the last year or so due to use but trust me it was the best decision noise wise as a fully decatted NA is a noisy machine with the wrong system.

I think they are great value too as iirc they are around £350.

£350 is good! didn't realise they were that cheap..! im not sure if mine is decatted.. im almost inclined to think it is as its so loud at the moment.. I really want a system that is quiet low down so i can still sneak about and then when i foot it then it growls!

just checked out that recording.. does seem a bit loud still but thats not bad if its double decat and manifold i suppose!!!

The whifbitz stuff seems highly recommended on here anyway.. Gonna measure my existing pipe work.. If it's 2.5 then il stick with it but replace the back box and have a mid box put in.. If it's bigger il replace the whole lot with this system..!

Need to get under it when I get it back and see if it's decatted.. I thought it was just a cat back but now I'm not so sure..!

I noticed however with the whifbitz Zaust there isn't a hole for a removable silencer.. Would want to bung it at night too to take some of the edge off

The whifbitz stuff seems highly recommended on here anyway.. Gonna measure my existing pipe work.. If it's 2.5 then il stick with it but replace the back box and have a mid box put in.. If it's bigger il replace the whole lot with this system..!

Need to get under it when I get it back and see if it's decatted.. I thought it was just a cat back but now I'm not so sure..!

I noticed however with the whifbitz Zaust there isn't a hole for a removable silencer.. Would want to bung it at night too to take some of the edge off

Stock exhaust would be 2.5 anyway which I personally would stick with regardless, NA 1st 2nd decats like I have from whifbitzs are 2.5 inch too.