The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reviving my NA-T......... Resto / Tidy Up........

Guest Dannyboys14a

Guest Dannyboys14a

This my Mk4 Supra I bought last Novemeber, when I bought it I had every intention of just making it presentable to enjoy and then moving it on......................... When I got it polished it up removed some stickers and it pretty much looked like this............................

I was pretty pleased with what I had as a base, gave it a service and enjoyed it. A few niggles, squeaky clutch release bearing and a few creaks and knocks from the front suspension but all in all a great fun 396bhp for not a lot of money. Moving house and a few other things meant I didn't have the time or space to undertake a project so it served its purpose as an awesome fun daily.

Guest Dannyboys14a

The paintwork on the car was never great when I got it but an initial polish and some touching in made it acceptable and something I could live with, but using it as a daily for a few months had taken its toll and the previous rush paintjob showed signs age and quality! Lol

Paint peeling from previous poor prep…….

With a dent on the ¼ from my mum when I left it on her driveway for safe keeping while moving!!!

Paint peeling on Inner wings and front panel from literally no preparation…………..

So I stated scraping……

Overspray on everything! It’s been decided that the car will be bought back to a nice example as it’s a solid good reliable car, it will be done when time permits. Having a little time spare I took a wire wheel to the paint…….

Next week I will strip the front end down to clean up the rest of the overspray, taking the wings, Bumper and headlamps out to prep and give the front panel and inner wings a decent coat of paint.

Also while I had 5 mins I got some polishing compound out and cleaned the faded plastic headlamp lenses…..

One headlamp polished….

Engine Bay as it stands, the engine cover is crying out for some fresh paint and the bay a good clean. Lol

Inside I haven’t done a lot apart from an Alpine headunit and some decent Focal speakers, it will get some attention at some point….

Anyway will update as work progresses, we are working towards a complete repaint, a subtle kit, nicer wheels and a general tidy up. Will try not to bore you all too much in the process…

Guest Dannyboys14a

I bit more under bonnet detail......

Unfortunately we had a couple of reactions so will be done again when the car gets painted.

Not something that was done today but the Focal components fitted in the front doors.....

Lastly she got a clean pre MOT, pleased to say she passed.

Now its time to start on prepping and painting the inner wings and front panel (weather permitting!)

• 6 months later...
Guest Dannyboys14a

As much as I had a lot of enthusiasm to finish what I had started, the weather said other wise and also the drift car stole any spare cash to be re-built.

After a year of trouble free motoring the Alternator packed up on me in December, the guys at Garage D after quickly establishing which of the 2 style plugs I needed got a replacement out to me. It arrived and all looked good so we got involved fitting, attempt after attempt we tried to get the belt on. Could we hell, was the pulley bigger? No, Did it really look any different? No. In desperation I took it back off and put it next to the old one and surprisingly the casing on the replacement is bigger......

As it fitted to the car and the plugged fitted we decided to run with it buying a slightly bigger belt to get over the problem, well so we thought. It worked but wouldn't charge properly and although felt properly tensioned it would not self tension to solve the squealing :(

I bit the bullet and just decided to get the original reconditioned and a new belt the same length as the old as its a tried and tested combo!

Of course just going outside to fit the alternator turned into just 'quickly stripping the front to finish the paint stripping started previously

Discovering more dodgy paintwork and some odd nut and bolt combos holding bits on, I also decided to take the headlights out and get them polished and laquered as although compound makes them look good it doesn't last.

This weekend I set about stripping further....

Discovering more quality paintwork.........

I took to stripping it back........

I primed (sorry no pics) and then painted in a smoke grey which should be something similar to the cars natural colour......

And then for a little detail the Rad top mounts gots some TLC, I thought white added some nicer detail....

Then all back together looking a little fresher.....

Please with how it all looks, although am looking forward to getting all of the correct bolts and actually fitting the alternator. Hopefully not too long to get some paint on her.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dannyboys14a

A little bit of detailing, overspray off of rubbers......

Decided to swap some of the wing bolts and other bolts around the engine bay....

Slow progress but all coming together. :-)

• 11 months later...
Guest Dannyboys14a

A little more progress made on this one, its a little bit drawn out with a little one on the way but we are getting there....

Bodykit ordered, test fitted and painted.

Get the body kit fitted

The wheels had seen better days and the fitment was pretty bad so a refurb and some spacers were in order...

Plan is to get the rest painted at some point, also have some refurbished shocks to swap and finally to replace a slightly smokey turbo. She will get there..... :)

Guest Dannyboys14a
Don't mean to piss on your parade but the best photo in this thread is the first one

You haven't mate don't worry. If it was as clean as it looked in that pic then it probably would have stayed that way. Unfortunately some poor previous bodywork meant it needed attention.

So I did what I wanted to with it and am pretty pleased with the outcome.