The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC and the poxy air filter

ronttuk

Ive fitted a FMIC and the pipe supplied fouls the standard air filter so I got hold of a HKS mushroom filter but still cant fit that on I need the alloy pipe that goes between the mushroom filter and the airflow meter which I cant seem to find anywhere to purchase one,

So how did you guys get around this problem??

I'd heartily recommend not having a HKS mushroom air filter as they don't stop grit-sized particles. Scored bores and knackered turbos are the order of the day after running one of those.

I thought HKS addressed this issue and went from a dual layer to triple layer element with improved filtering properties, maybe that's just forum nonsense I have read somewhere. I have been running a HKS panel filter now for ages, I do hope it hasnt let too much through, my intake pipe post filter looks clean enough.

I have just moved my intake to the bumper vent where the smic used to be and was about to use a mushroom filter with a triple layer element, but now I am wondering if I should't and to find something else.

I thought HKS addressed this issue and went from a dual layer to triple layer element with improved filtering properties, maybe that's just forum nonsense I have read somewhere. I have been running a HKS panel filter now for ages, I do hope it hasnt let too much through, my intake pipe post filter looks clean enough.

I have just moved my intake to the bumper vent where the smic used to be and was about to use a mushroom filter with a triple layer element, but now I am wondering if I should't and to find something else.

Fit something else. I have first-hand experience of mushroom filters failing, destroying both turbos and my engine. They're awful. Save yourself thousands and fit a decent filter. Apexi is one of the better ones, but a stock airbox is best.

K&N are very very good, I've run one for nearly ten years and there is no sign of grit or debris in the intake side as of last week when I sorted the injectors, and the turbo vanes are pristine and uneroded/chipped :) The crap that washes out of the filter exterior side when you clean it is also testament to how much it stops!

Fit something else. I have first-hand experience of mushroom filters failing, destroying both turbos and my engine. They're awful. Save yourself thousands and fit a decent filter. Apexi is one of the better ones, but a stock airbox is best.

OK thanks, I have been running the stock airbox with a HKS panel until now, but have recently re-jigged my fmic pipework and made a slam panel. TBH (and I am now getting ready to be shot down) I can't see the advantage of running a stock air box once a slam panel is fitted, the top stock air scoop isn't going to see hardly any fresh air once the panel is in place. We were looking at the cars at the 20th and was amazed how many had the slam panel fitted and the stock airbox, the only place for the air for the top scoop to come from is up through the cut outs in the panel.

I looked long and hard at this and the all the effort that Toyota put into distributing the cold air between both the top scoop and the rad is wasted as soon as a fmic is fitted and although the rad gets plenty if the slam panel is added, the top scoop gets only a fraction. I have almost done a "Slutters" and sealed up all the gaps at the side of the rad, filled in the gaping holes between the rad and the headlights and moved my intake to the driver side vent area. Will post some pictures in a while.

Shane, you need to check an area of pipework where oil from the PCV system pools, like the pipes into the FMIC. The oil might well be rather gritty to the touch.

OK cheers Ian, I have the pipes in the garden that I have just last week replaced, I will check and report back.

• 4 months later...

How did this work out for you in the end Shane? I currently have an HKS mushroom filter but I want to get rid of it. Was thinking of changing to a slightly customised stock airbox with TRD panel but as you say, with a front mount I can't see it getting decent airflow. Locating it in the bumper like that looks like it would work well, but might be a little vulnerable to damage from stones etc. flicking up off the road

I'd heartily recommend not having a HKS mushroom air filter as they don't stop grit-sized particles. Scored bores and knackered turbos are the order of the day after running one of those.

The new three layer hks replacement filter does the job as well as my old apexi and k&n units did the original hks mushroom filter did indeed let loads of crap through which was visible on inspection of the intake on both my old N/As

To clarify I currently have my VVTI turbo side and intake side pipework etc removed and they are pristine no debris or dirt however do remember the hks triple layer is a disposable filter to be changed every 3k miles unlike the k&n

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

How did this work out for you in the end Shane? I currently have an HKS mushroom filter but I want to get rid of it. Was thinking of changing to a slightly customised stock airbox with TRD panel but as you say, with a front mount I can't see it getting decent airflow. Locating it in the bumper like that looks like it would work well, but might be a little vulnerable to damage from stones etc. flicking up off the road

You could put mesh in the bumper to stop larger debris getting to the filter :). I've got some to fit to mine to shield the CW SMIC and radiator a bit :)

I ended up flogging the HKS Mushroom to another member on here and bought a large cylindrical Ramair filter as it fitted the space I had perfectly. I may have a picture of the completed job and if so will post it up.