The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plastic bottles on roads

David P

Glug & chuck size plastic bottles are additional and mobile landmines to watch out for in between dodging potholes and kamikaze drivers.

Driving a 40 mph stretch at about 40, to make space for an oncoming Audi-loony who was overtaking a bicycle at about 80mph, I had to pull over close to a vicious square edged granite kerb which left insufficient room to manoeuvre out of the way of a Coke bottle that was wafting, dodging and weaving my way and the outside of my front offside tyre just clipped it.

It's concerning the damage these things can do, one dead tyre. :(

(I had copperslip on my fingers when I inspected it)

attachment.php?attachmentid=174496&d=1378029795

cut and pads 007.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

That must have been a plastic bottle with brick inside it!

Just an empty bottle wafting along the road.

:think: Deja Vu :think: Deja Vu.

I've seen reports of this before yet only in cold & wet weather, not hot & dry so post up my misfortune as a heads up that could save members lives.

Would never have expected that sort of damage!! :shock:

I assume you had a blowout or did it just leak the air out?

As I said, a perfect cut to blow out at speed when hot, no loss of air at this time.

:think: Deja Vu :think: Deja Vu :think: Deja Vu.

It's just like a Pikey vendetta cut, up to speed, up to heat and I'll let you work the next bit out. :shrug:

If you caught the neck of the bottle i could understand it, they are bloody tough.

It was the bottom of the bottle, just clipping the end, but it was either the bottle, the vicious kerb or the Audi. :shrug:

This happened on a dry road and a mark can be seen on the tyre from "1" in 140 to "A" in traction and when the bottle split, the structural strength of it's wonky base must have been enough to drive the broken plastic into the sidewall like a knife and result in the above.