The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dazzi's White Facelift NA-T A343/0E Hybrid Auto

Dazzi

Update: 25th January 2015.

NA-T conversion complete and mapped at 7.5PSI - Goes like stink! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After owning a black Pre-Facelift 5 speed since 2007 I really wanted a new project. Unfortunately quite a lot of attention was required on the car such as corrosion, bent jacking points and general bits and bobs I messed with over the years. I really fancied a white supra after owning a pain in the ass black one. Just fancied a change really. I found the right one last month and absolutely love it!

I work on a lot of American vehicles (US military base) and drive many different auto boxes day in day out. I can tell you now, the Japanese were certainly ahead of their time with the A340E. For an NA it feels great, you can play around with the MANU and O/D for some fun or whack it into D on a gently cruise to work. This has totally changed my mind on an auto box.. its just so smooth :)

My plan is to complete the NA-T engine build (update engine didn't run) on low boost (for now) and drop it into my White Facelift and hopefully run one of David P's A343/0E hydrid box (when I get round to messaging him). Fantastic work after reading the A343/0E hydrid group :thumbs:

Seeing as I mentioned my black supra (currently being broken for parts) I thought I'd give it a final send off and post a few pics before it's properly put to bed and made into a washing machine :imsorry:

:eek::bye::eek::bye:

Edited by Dazzi (see edit history)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well anyway out with the old and in with the new. The black supra has taught me a lot over that last 6 years, i've learnt from many mistakes and aim to make this one even better.

The White Facelift Beast in question :drool:

The night I picked her up after a 7 hour trip (don't ask :() to South Wales.

- - - Updated - - -

The car came with very tired looking headlights and with the usual peeling chrome rings and dull halogen bulbs. The previous owner tinted the lights I think to hide this. Not to my taste so I swapped my facelift lights from the black one onto the white one and installed my 6000k HID's. What a difference! Makes the car look so much more modern. :)

Before

(Supra fetish alert :taped::love::confused: )

After

6000k's in

A little cheesy photoshop with no reg plate (couldn't resist). I really want the car to look like this in the near future.

Right, thats as far as I've gotten with the car so far. I've only had it a month. Time to crack on with some engine pics :D

January I took delivery of a complete engine from Supra Steveo. I had a mental picture of what I wanted the engine to look like and it was a million miles away.

This is my goal, I know its a TT engine but the detail and colour code is how I wanted mine to be.

The engine....

Looks like a lot of work right?! :taped: :blink::faint:

The strip down... 'gotta replace dem piston rings ah fried!' :search: :D

While I was busy cleaning more parts down I received a few bits and bobs through the post. I originally bought Clevite main and big end bearing but after plasti gauging these did not work. After measurement I ordered the correct numbered bearings from Elmhurst Toyota in the US.

Oil pump and NPR piston rings.

Full gasket set

ARP head bolts for booooost

And the delicate work begins!

Main bearings installed.

All correctly torqued as per toyota manual. Silky smooth rotation :D:D

Piston rings installed. Pistons ready to go in.

Had enough of getting all oily so thought i'd start spraying some more bits :D

Upper sump pan

Check out my non gasket non leaky turbo oil return ey ;)

Mocking all the bits together before shes sealed.

Hopefully the last time i'll be in here so lets close her up!

Bottom end done. Lets flip her over and start on the top end :taped::taped::taped:

I hattttttte valve work :(

The intake valves came up pretty nice but the exhaust valves were pitted.

I de-coked the head, skimmed, ground the valves, cut a new seat into the head and hey presto seals tight as a :taped: :D

- - - Updated - - -

Got bored of the head job so more painting time!

Engine mounts

Cleaned and sprayed a section of the intake

Oil filter housing, sandwich plate and oil filter on.

Valve caps in

Here goes the cams :sly:

Loosen, tighten, turn, loosen, tighten, turn

Dooone finally time to whip ye old turbo out for a quick pic ;)

T61, looks bigger due to bad lighting/camera angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Down pipe, intake and screamer pipe

T4 turbo manifold

Test fiiiiiit

The last pic for tonight is of the famous 2JZ no shit stamped on the side of the block but I could only find the 2JZ part :search:

This will be updated regularly both engine and car so keep watching :)

Guest pb1302

Nice build thus far...my plans are to do the same but fit some forged rods and pistons in....just looking for 650 as that should be enough on the streets.

Where did you get the manifold and piping from? Been looking for something that won't crack as a big turbo sits on top.

Thanks mate. Ive heard some na builds around 600+ mark on standard internals. Are you just playing it safe? :sly:

I got the manifold from XS power in the states. I will be welding some rods across to the T4 flange for extra strength. The down pipe, intake pipe and screamer pipe I got on ebay uk. Search for supra downpipe. They usually sell them for £150 but I won the lot in an auction for £57 :D

Haha its the new craze. I keep saying to myself if im going to do it, do it properly. As much as I hate cleaned a 17+ year old engine it will pay off in the end and I'd only kick myself if I didnt :)

It's brutal, I started with a ready engine but then my mate and started stripping it, cleaning and a rebuild with TT pistons and ARP bolts and its just non stop

Once you start you can't stop lol

Yours is miles cleaner and more attention to detail then mine

I'm jealous lol

• 2 weeks later...
It's brutal, I started with a ready engine but then my mate and started stripping it, cleaning and a rebuild with TT pistons and ARP bolts and its just non stop

Once you start you can't stop lol

Yours is miles cleaner and more attention to detail then mine

I'm jealous lol

I can agree its clean :D I've spent about 1 month solid in total cleaning everything. The attention to detail is what im focusing on the most. Every part of the engine has been painted. Im only going to do this once so why not do it right. You need to do a build thread mate so I can see yours :)

Auxiliary belt tensioner on. The pulley will need to be replaced as the bearing is rough and rusty. Think I will be going with one of the whifbitz ones.

Power steering pump and ac bracket on. I fitted the ac bracket to support the power steering pump as I was originally going to take the ac out of the black supra. Not sure if I want to strip it out the white one now so this may come off and the ac pump fitted when the engine is dropped in.

Cam belt covers on and power steering reservoir fitted. Really starting to take shape now :)

I can agree its clean :D I've spent about 1 month solid in total cleaning everything. The attention to detail is what im focusing on the most. Every part of the engine has been painted. Im only going to do this once so why not do it right. You need to do a build thread mate so I can see yours :)

I thought mine was clean and painted.

I didn't rush mine, but mine isn't this gleaming lol

I'm just waiting on my custom FFIM to get back then I can finish building it.

Surely you've seen some of my Facebook pics?