The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spec stage 3 clutch users

berg

Anyone on here using the spec stage 3 clutch in the supra?

Ive noticed mine has a slight judder on pull off (way it feels is almost like slight rear wheel spin when pulling off normally and the gear stick shakes slightly)

If i add a very small amount of extra revs on pull off it doesnt do it at all

Does anyone else have this and is it normal?

Just want to find out before i investigate further

A mate of mine has one in his cammed Pontiac GTO and frequently races it. I decided to try one out on my NA. First thoughts I could feel it bite really hard and was pretty aggressive when moving from a stand still. I broke the clutch in for 1000 miles and started driving it hard after this. Im really into my drifting so when looking for a clutch I wanted something that would handle the power of me kicking the back end out, so I got the Spec stage 3 which is rated at 359 ft lb torque. After a hard session of drifting I did this... surprisingly, the car still drove.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138563[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138565[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138572[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138573[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138574[/ATTACH]

Nasty!! Mine looks a little different to yours - image

I'm tempted to ignore the run in period, its SOOO hard to stay off boost, done 200miles so far and i need to have my na-t mapped again since the first time i had a boost leak, waiting another 300miles will kill me!! what's the worst that could happen ahh..

Its because the centre plate is segmented basically like a paddle clutch.

If you want it to drive like stock you need an organic plate.

If the juddering annoys you, buy a stock 6 speed clutch plate from Toyota and swap it over.

The stage 3 is only for really big power/torque, stage 1 is fine for most cars.

If you have a w58 you may have to put up with it as the stock plate won't take TT power but the 6 speed is fine

Its because the centre plate is segmented basically like a paddle clutch.

If you want it to drive like stock you need an organic plate.

If the juddering annoys you, buy a stock 6 speed clutch plate from Toyota and swap it over.

The stage 3 is only for really big power/torque, stage 1 is fine for most cars.

If you have a w58 you may have to put up with it as the stock plate won't take TT power but the 6 speed is fine

Are we talking about the stage 3 or the stage 3+? As I'm looking to buy one of these clutches soon and don't really want the judder that I have already. I was thinking of getting the stage 3+

• 5 weeks later...
To be honest if its anything like my competition puck clutch it will only ever get worse and reversing is a total pain in the rear

Bit of a thread revival but my Competition Stage 5 clutch is ridiculous, you literally cannot slip the clutch at all unless your holding the revs ridiculously high. Reversing is a total mare and the judder is unbelievable. I actually thought it was improving but 3-400 miles later and it seems worse than ever. My own fault for buying a 4 puck clutch, against the trusted advice of a trader on here.

As you can tell I have finally had enough of my clutch tonight as it's completely ruining the fun of driving the car :(

Bit of a thread revival but my Competition Stage 5 clutch is ridiculous, you literally cannot slip the clutch at all unless your holding the revs ridiculously high. Reversing is a total mare and the judder is unbelievable. I actually thought it was improving but 3-400 miles later and it seems worse than ever. My own fault for buying a 4 puck clutch, against the trusted advice of a trader on here.

As you can tell I have finally had enough of my clutch tonight as it's completely ruining the fun of driving the car :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles dude!

On a separate note if anyone else is considering a Spec stage 3 mine is now dealing with over 410 ftlbs of torque and not slipping :)

Sorry to hear of your troubles dude!

On a separate note if anyone else is considering a Spec stage 3 mine is now dealing with over 410 ftlbs of torque and not slipping :)

On the plus side I wanted to take the gearbox back off anyway to fit a new release bearing, so may just fit another clutch at the same time. Although, part of me is saying I'm a fool and I should sell the W58, clutch etc. and put the money towards a V160/V161 or a R154 conversion. Decisions decisions.. :search:

Id recommend the spec stage 3 as you know from trax

Now its bed in properly it is a bit different, slightly higher bite and i do have a slight squeek on pull off but its great to dive with and is certainly liveable with (alot more than yours by the sound of it)

Gets a bit of a pain in works traffic but ive started using the handbrake when stationary (first time since i passed my driving test lol)

Id recommend the spec stage 3 as you know from trax

Now its bed in properly it is a bit different, slightly higher bite and i do have a slight squeek on pull off but its great to dive with and is certainly liveable with (alot more than yours by the sound of it)

Gets a bit of a pain in works traffic but ive started using the handbrake when stationary (first time since i passed my driving test lol)

I'm really unsure at the moment as I may just bite the bullet, live with it for now and save for a R154 or V160/V161 conversion. If I buy another clutch it's £400 towards the new box gone. Seems a shame to have the potential for all that extra power with the lowered compression and not take advantage.

If that all falls through then I'll be taking your advice and going for a Spec item or failing that I have emailed Chris Wilson about his clutches.