The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW and Toyota tie-up for new Supra?

Gaz6002

I've heard rumours like this before, and it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Basically, it looks like Toyota is going to team up with BMW to build a new sports car just like it did with Subaru for the GT86 project.

It'll likely mean a BMW Z5, and that will share a platform with something that's certainly the right size for a new Supra.

More info/speculation here.

So what do we think? I know there's a fair few BMW enthusiasts on here as well as the Supra guys. Could be interesting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be really pleased to see this if they work on something that can compete on the same level as the GTR. The GT86 left a lot to be desired despite looking awesome.

I don't think they should go after the GTR myself, they would have to make it 4wd to be in with a chance of competing.

I'd go after the XKR/DB9/M6 etc, Toyota should build a good looking, powerful and well priced GT car.

I reckon a collaboration with BMW could see a move towards a 4wd system adopted, you only have to see the current movement at BMW towards the Xdrive systems they are bringing to the 3 series etc to see that this key development for future platforms.

Whether or not they go for a 911 rival (GTR) or stick with the original plan of being a great GT car remains to be seen. I personally would prefer the GT option but I can see why others might want to chase the competition literally speaking.

I don't think they should go after the GTR myself, they would have to make it 4wd to be in with a chance of competing.

I'd go after the XKR/DB9/M6 etc, Toyota should build a good looking, powerful and well priced GT car.

:yeahthat:

The good thing about this potential partnership is BMW still use Twin Turbo i6 engines, so a spiritual successor would be possible with off the shelf parts.

:thumbs:

With BMW migrating away from the NA V8 engines and utilising I6 TT engines again for the new M4 (I believe it is around 420bhp stock?), a collaboration with Toyota should surely make use of something along those lines.

The Z4M was a 3.0, so if they are making the likes of a 'Z5M' with that bigger platform, I'd have thought they'd implement the same sort of engine that the M4 would feature.

Something like that would lend itself to a future Supra perfectly, as it would retain the drivetrain and engine configuration seen in the mkIII and mkIV. It certainly makes sense to me. Whether they opt for that though is still to be seen. After all, look how many 'mk5 Supra' potential leaks there have been in the last 10 years. :)

To be honest I don't like the sound of this but I think that's because I hate BMW's and everything about them. Toyota can build a good enough car on there own I know it's a big expense to design and build a car but it would be so much worth it. I think if Toyota built the chassis I could maybe live with a BMW power plant but that is a big maybe

My worst nightmare :( Think of the new skills I'd have to learn if I was basically driving a BMW:

Tailgating

Roadraging

Aggressive driving in general

Undertaking

Charging up 30mph bus lane at 60mph+ then barging back into the queue with no indicating

Driving while facebooking about how awesome I am for having a BMW

Wearing mirrored shades

Refusing to believe women don't find all the above attractive

Refusing to believe any other car could possibly be even close in any factor

Telling everyone how my diesel engine is the best engine evar and more powerful than the strong atomic force itself

*shudder*

:D

Toyota should put their money into their own car (totally) like they did with the MK1V. Big BHP and 4 wheel drive. Nissan did it with the GTR, Toyota should do it to get back to the position they were at in 1993-4 when the new sup came out. BMW's are still living on the name of the past. They are not all as reliable as people perceive. One of my customers has a brand new one and it has broken down at least 5 times in its first year. Its pretty embarrassing having it returned again and again and she wouldn't have another given to her. New Audi on order. Comments needed from Steve Marsh....................

BMW do make some good performance engines though. I'd be interested to see if this comes off. Agree with Jamie though, needs a lot more BHP than they quote.

when? my m3 csl was a rattly noisey engine something you wouldnt get with toyota .needs 500bhp and 4x4..and nothing from bmw

My worst nightmare :( Think of the new skills I'd have to learn if I was basically driving a BMW:

Tailgating

Roadraging

Undertaking

Charging up 30mph bus lane at 60mph+ then barging back into the queue with no indicating

Wearing mirrored shades

Telling everyone how my diesel engine is the best engine evar and more powerful than the strong atomic force itself

*shudder*

:rlol: but the advert on the TV says there the best cars in the world so it must be true. You also forgot to mention can only drive fast in a straight line

Tailgating

Roadraging

Undertaking

Wearing mirrored shades

*shudder*

:rlol: