The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel,Anyone tried BP,ESSO etc??

stt

As being a sworn user of optimax Ive noticed more companies are coming or have had a high grade fuel out for a while,ESSO have had thiers out since the year dot but BP have not long released thier Ultimate fuel and was wondering if anyone out there runs thiers on anything else but optimax???

I've used BP Ultimate and it seemed fine. I put £10 of Tescos in the other day (emergency, on fumes) and it was fine on that too!

I'm beginning to suspect that as long as the fuel is 97 RON then anything will do, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me otherwise. I'm just not quite convinced about all this 'must run optimax' stuff. What are the effects if you don't run it and use normal supermarket unleaded? And more to the point, have any of these effects actually been seen?

Oh, and if you want more fuel info:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6483

I swear by Optimax I'm afraid.

The change is more noticeable the other way, i.e. when you have run on regular unleaded for a while and then change back to Optimax.

Try running on Tesco for a week until you are used to how the car performs. Make sure the tank is low and then fill her up with Optimax. Then tell me you didn't notice any difference.

The results can be heard when you drive it hard. Under full boost they pink like a b@stard on ordinary unleaded. I've had 3 TT's all behave the same!

I only EVER use Optimax now.

:cool:

I agree with Soop Dogg, i know some people say you can't feel the difference, but i swear i can. I also heard that BP Ultimate (97ron) isn't actually 97ron by the time it gets to your car. Im sure there's a thread somewhere on here about it.

If i have to then i'll put £10 of normal grade petrol in, but only if i have to.

From what I've read it seems to affect a TT much more than a NA.

I've tried Sainsbury's Super Unleaded, Optimax etc and most of the time use normal petrol. I can notice such a tiny difference if any.

The price difference is huge too, around here 82.9 for normal petrol and 89.9 for Optimax! Sainsbury's usually only charge 2p more for there Super unleaded than normal petrol though.

The biggest problem I have with Optimax is the MPG is worse than 95 Ron.

Originally posted by Soop Dogg

I swear by Optimax I'm afraid.

The change is more noticeable the other way, i.e. when you have run on regular unleaded for a while and then change back to Optimax.

Yep, same here - When I got the soop I used normal 95 RON and then a few week later used Optimax and I was like " WOW, was the car asleep on normal fuel" :D

I only EVER use Optimax now.

(However, fuel costs are not a concern for me)

Always use Optimax where possible problem is nearest shell is 11 miles away so sometimes have to go for ultimate. Only ever fill up with SUL anyway.

For those with NA's who use Standard unleaded petrol don't waste your money on brands use supermarket petrol. It is utter bulls**t that people think it to be inferior. I work for Tesco and have to input petrol reciepts on a regular basis. Contrary to popular believe Tesco don't produce there own fuel the reason they can keep the price low is coz they buy from whoever is supplying petrol cheapest on the day. The only fuels I have ever seen on receipts has been Elf Texaco and Esso so your getting a good fuel anyway..

I've tried most things, but being almost standard i don't really feel any differences, only ever noticed a slight difference when i first popped in a tank of BP ultimate, (was feeling rich that month!) As for optimax, I heard from a friend with a highly tuned 200SX that when he got his ECU remapped they told him not to use optimax cause it carbons up the valves etc? That was from Abbey i think..

Guest Terry S

Have posted this before but here goes:

with a standalone ECU I always used optimax. Got stuck one day & tried Texaco SUL. There was absolutely no difference( read no det) with the texaco. This is significant as the stand alone didn't pull timing like the Stock ECU should. It is also widely rumoured that Optimax "goes off" over a few weeks, meaning it loses some of it octane. This may be the same with other fuels, just dont let them sit in the tank for weeks.

The guys at ASNU ( they make injector cleaning machines) I know reckon the Texaco fuels use the best injector cleaning additive and recommended that I use the Texaco SUL every 5th fill up to keep the injectors clean.