The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I've melted a wastegate line.

hodge

Had the Supra out for an hour or so tonight for a bit of spirited driving. Had a nice easy drive home, to cool it down with a big grin on my face, and parked it up in the garage.

Jumped in it to take it to work, on the way I fancied a bit of the rolling anti-lag. 2nd gear, button in, foot on the floor aaaaaaand ooooofffffff. Good job I was watching the boost gauge. My boost went off the gauge, well over 2 bar. Quickly lifted off the throttle before I let the button go. I recon that could have been pretty much carostrophic seems it's only mapped to 1.8 bar. All my lines are braided Teflon and insulated with thermosleeve but I'm guessing the heat and got to 1 of them and melted it. I'll pull them all off tomorrow and take a look.

Think I might go back to silicon wastegate lines, and thermosleeve then to see if they take heat any better.

could be the boost solinoid, intresting to find out if the braided lines have failed so quickly

also i would of thought that ryan would have a map to at least 2 bar on your car even though your running at 1.8 even if it was just pulling extra timing and dumping fuel in

I've tried a new solenoid on that I had spare and it's no different. I'll pull the lines off tonight and take a look.

I've been trying to get in touch with Ryan for the last 3 weeks now, I've emailed and called him and he's not answering or replying at all. I need my idle control valve turned back on, a voltage trip incase the alternator overcharges so I don't fry my battery and also lower the boost cut trip or set it up 1 or the other.

I'll order myself a few metres of silicon hose today and get the car all piped up with that to save anything melting again.

Love the "blast to work". I learned the hard way driving cars that I had for sale! Something always goes wrong.

Nothing major, the car drives perfectly apart from that, I'm going to order some hose today. But your right about the "something goes wrong thing". It's as if the car doesn't want to go, it wants to stay with me forever.

Why did the ECU allow it to over boost? My Motecs try to reduce boost but if it goes more than 5% over the top limit it kills the fuel until it drops right back down. Needs the safety features setting up, it should be impossible for that to occur. Hope it's not detted!

No chance of that Chris, I instantly let off the throttle and when I tried it just with the gears I did it in low boost setting at 0.9 bar, I let it raise to 1.5 bar and backed off.

I think the problem lies in the lines that run between the downpipe and manifold. Although I've got loads of heat wrap on there and the pipes are thermosleeved it's just not enough for the heat.