The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gases exhausted through a BOV - Safe to breathe?

pedrosixfour

Strange question I'll grant you but can someone confirm that the excess pressurised air that is recirculated or released from the intake system through a standard or aftermarket BOV is actually just pressurised fresh air and contains nothing in the line of fuel vapour or actual spent exhaust gases?

I want to know is it safe to introduce it to the cabin for a particular purpose.

I have an oil catch can fitted (but just not plumbed yet) that would catch some of the oil vapour from the breather system.

I'm looking at using the air to demist the windscreen.

Because I removed the heater system from behind the dash the last track day I was at, which was the wettest I've ever attended, was a complete white out for me, no amount of anti-fog could keep the screen clear. I'd get a couple of laps done and then I'd need to come in and let the cabin clear in its own good time.

The idea popped into my head last night that the excess boost could be the answer to the problem, fresh, slightly warmed air supplied every time I lift my foot off the accelerator.

Best getting yourself a couple of inline fans with it connected up to the screen vent on your dash - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/driver-cooling/demon-tweeks-in-line-blower-fans

Otherwise invest in a heated windscreen...

If you are interested in a heated windscreen then I will be up for one of those too.

I think Paul needs 5 in total to make an order.

Do you still have the 12v cigar lighter installed? If so just get one of those plug in fan heater things and point it at the window. Bit of tape to pin it to the dash would do nicely :)

I do mate and that is what I originally intended to do. The thing is though I was trying to introduce "other" air to the cabin rather than just recirculating what is already in there.

There were literally puddles of water forming in the foot wells from my clothes & shoes at the last track day and I think that, combined with the heat transferred from the exhaust to the floor pan, was compounding the problem of the car steaming up. The humidity in the car had to be 100%.

Before I shelve the idea altogether I think I might refit the stock BOV and run a big line from it to see what kind of supply is available, being a track car I could throttle off probably 15 to 20 times/lap and running @ 16-17 psi has got to produce some kind of airflow surely. I know its been denounced as a bad idea already but I need to see for myself.

Best getting yourself a couple of inline fans with it connected up to the screen vent on your dash - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/driver-cooling/demon-tweeks-in-line-blower-fans

Otherwise invest in a heated windscreen...

I think I removed all the vents from the underside of the dash as well Richard, I didn't see much point in leaving them there when nothing would be connected to them.

The only trouble with a heated windscreen is getting it from the UK to Ireland mate.

Before I shelve the idea altogether I think I might refit the stock BOV and run a big line from it to see what kind of supply is available, being a track car I could throttle off probably 15 to 20 times/lap and running @ 16-17 psi has got to produce some kind of airflow surely. I know its been denounced as a bad idea already but I need to see for myself.

Why ask then?? :blink:

Why ask then?? :blink:

Didn't realise it was a crime to ask for opinions.

Nothing was said that has really put me off at least investigating the possibilities a little further.

But I'll keep the results to myself if that helps to minimise waste.

I wouldn't want to intrude on pages of moronic banter from the hordes of sycophants with a genuine post.

The thing is, even if you filtered the air with some sort of device, I don't think it'll have the sheer power to de-mist the screen. You'd be better off porting air into the cabin from outside. That way, the quicker you're going, the quicker your screen demists. Perfect incentive :D

Whilst certainly not medical or diving quality breathing air it's not going to kill you, but it would smell and taste a bit off. It would almost certainly deposit oil droplets on the screen, too. As it's pressurised air just venting until it reaches atmospheric the actual volume is minimal. I doubt it will do any good whatsoever. Mastermist is good, heated front screens are supeb, or LOTS of high flow, medium pressure air from outside via a convoluted route to remove spray. You used to see some weird and wonderful race car "de-misting" setups until the advent of heated front screens.

Can you not just crack the window down an inch or 2? :D

Then maybe I could take Kill's advice of keeping things simple, just wear a snorkel and poke the end out the window. :)

But I had both side windows down fully and it didn't stop the front screen from fogging up.

If the air is already saturated it's not going to help and I mean it was like a monsoon. People started leaving because the track was terrifying!

Maybe I might try a simple bowl of uncooked rice under each seat.

The thing is, even if you filtered the air with some sort of device, I don't think it'll have the sheer power to de-mist the screen. You'd be better off porting air into the cabin from outside. That way, the quicker you're going, the quicker your screen demists. Perfect incentive :D

I had something like that in place before I did the engine swap, a kind of alloy tube running from the front bumper, up alongside the engine and through the firewall to on top of the dash pointing at my side of the window. It really didn't clear much except for just in front of the outlet.

You used to see some weird and wonderful race car "de-misting" setups until the advent of heated front screens.

Any guides or links I might be able to peruse Chris?