The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hopefully soon to be first time supra owner :)

Dave_harman1990

Hi guys, signed up to the sight looking for as much info and advice as i can before i spend a bundle on my newest project/ dream car.

Im an assistant manager for a london based company called Merityre so working on cars is part of my day to day life :)

First things first, im looking for a setup more towards drifting than power down without an excessive figure and expense. My current car is a 200sx S14a which was always my second favorite car to the Supra in first place. my problem is at a current 300 BHP im looking at a good 2 - 3K for another 80 ish bhp to which the gearbox would be unreliable as would the engine or another 5k for a good power figure with a pure risky gearbox but half reliable engine lol. The supra however i hear very VERY good things about stock engines being able to take upto 600bhp and boxes over 500bhp on the 2jzgte ;) so should be plenty for me! in other words now being 23 with a good set of no claims and an income i can finally afford the big boys toy.

I am not looking for a record breaker, im sure 450 bhp will be plenty of power for me but the biggest importance is a high torque figure without stupid amounts of lag, so full boost by maybe 4500rpm LATEST.

Important factors:

Must be a manual

Must be the twin turbo (going to single turbo it once i can afford it) unless i find a good single turbo one with reliable history

Preferably a standard setup (however rare it may be to find)

Questions:

Is there much difference in uk to import spec and any flaws and benefits depending on which one?

is there and benefits or weaknesses between the 5 speed and 6 speed box?

How accurate are my max figures for the internals strength (baring in mind regular servicing and maintenance and very rarely abused)?

Ive read some info about when decatting the exhaust that a restrictor ring needs fitting to prevent the turbos overboosting, is this the same with uk spec?

Ive checked over the two pdf files regarding the differences in the mk4 and things to look for so have a basic understanding but i want the professionals to share their masterful knowledge and wisdom :p

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Dave

Is there much difference in uk to import spec and any flaws and benefits depending on which one?
The buyer's guide PDFs which you've read should list all the differences. "Much difference" is subjective, but I'd say no. No specific flaws/benefits. One topic that comes up is that UK cars will have been on salted UK roads for more years than Japanese cars (I don't think they salt the roads in Japan), so UK cars *might* be more corroded underneath. This is a huge generalisation, and the older these cars get, the less reliable it becomes (many JSpec cars have been on UK roads longer than late-model UK cars). I wouldn't let this put me off a UK car: look underneath before buying, to check you're happy with the condition.

is there and benefits or weaknesses between the 5 speed and 6 speed box?
6 speed box is much stronger, but considered more clunky ("agricultural" is the term often used). If you're thinking about a single turbo, I wouldn't consider a 5 speed.

Steve comments are spot on, my NA has been here 10 years iirc and has survived well so IMO it depends on car to car and plus you can always get it re-sealed to protect it further.

If I was going single turbo I would personally 100% want a six speed although Jcbt is single turbo on the Autobox but Ryan G cleverly killed the torque on gear changes iirc using the Syvecs to protect the box, there is a ton of information on here and a lot of very knowledgeable people regarding these power levels and what to do so look around the forum and ask questions you are unsure about and someone (not me) will steer you in the right direction.