The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi there! Just would like to introduce myself and post a question.

Guest Pipnchick

Guest Pipnchick

I have a very standard and original 1993 non turbo airotop which I've owned for about 12 years. Always fancied a twin turbo but this one came at the right price and time so I thought It would do until a TT came along. It's been such a good car that I'll now keep it for ever! I've done all servicing, cam belts and various other maitenance myself and find it a dream to work on. However, I have a problem and would like some direction as to where to start if any other members can help please?

In recently had the odd starting problem whereby the engine would spin over happily on the starter but wouldn't fire and run. Later in the day it would start perfectly. This happened more often over the following couple of weeks until it wouldn't start at all. I finally worked it out that if the overdrive was switched off, it was perfect! Sure enough the car runs with the overdrive off but cuts out completely as soon as the overdrive is turned on again. Hence I have in effect no 4th gear. Having left the car for a week It was fine for a couple of days but has now reverted back to cutting out in overdrive. No warning lights have illuminated and I've topped up the ATF to the correct level. I am about to wiggle any wiring connectors to sensors around the transmission as my first step, does anybody have any more ideas or have experienced a similar problem? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

OK so now I've read the guidelines for the site (I don't read instructions for flat pack furniture either.......until it's too late!) I've realised that I should have posted the question on the technical forum. I'll do so now. Apologies.

Edited by Pipnchick
new to this! (see edit history)

Sounds like the two wires which are connected to the auto shifter are touching somehow, I had this same issue an after a while if would not let the OD turn on, a little wiggle of the wires an the spotting of a naked wire, then some insulation tape = win.

Hopefully this is the case with yours also.

Guest Pipnchick

Thanks for that, it'll be great if it's that simple. Your advice kinda ties in with that provided by Chris on my post in technical forum so very encouraging. I noticed this evening that even when the engine runs in both OD on and OD off, switching between the two causes it to drop in revs/hesitate momentarily so I feel that may also fit with your scenario. I'll check out the wiring and earth points over the weekend and will let you know how I fare.

Thanks again,

Pip