The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello and a quick question, Am i mad??

Guest boostmesoop

Guest boostmesoop

Bit of a weird introduction i know but let me give a little background.

For the past few years i have been through lots and lots of cars looking for something i can drive day in day out can be fairly economical when driven sensibly but quicker than most when you want a hoon but also reliable, am i mad for thinking a 8/9 year old supra will be right for me. I have two kids and the rear space is a concern ( children are 5 and 1 ).

Cars ive had in the last two years in no particular order

Audi b6 s4 avant

E46 M3

E39 545

Mk 2 Focus RS

4 or 5 Imprezas in different guises

Astra vxr

Fiat coupe 20vt

Renault Megane R26 F1

Think i might of missed a couple out ..

Currently driving a 645ci which i havent had for long as a long distance cruiser as im working in Kent and do the journey to the north and back once a month. ( Job is soon to end )

Looking back probably my favourite out the lot was the coupe funny that being it was far the cheapest too, great noise nice interior and somehow felt a lot quicker than 220bhp and surprised many a car..

So over the past few weeks ive been looking for a new car around the 20k mark but there is nothing that really interests me and im a firm believer cars of yester-years ( made that up ) are more fun and dare i say it built better..

Plus theres no depreciation hit as i am fed up of losing thousands on cars just by selling them.. ( Dont mind losing it on modifying them to my taste / power )

Would just like some honest feedback and how easy is a 400 odd bhp supra to live with? Will it be comparable to the scoob which i couldnt live with for too long on harsh coilovers / waking the neighbours up at all hours / drone on the m-way etc etc

Sorry for the essay and would like to hear some views, cheers. :wave:

You'll have a job finding an eight or nine year old Supra...

Other than that, go for it. You'll love it. And the rear seats are fit for nothing but children, although I'm not sure you'll get child seats in there (someone will be along to correct me on this in a few seconds, I'm sure...)

Edit: I'm not sure if I'd give up a 645 for one though. That will be a lot more comfortable for family trips and generally more comfortable on the motorway I should think. Depends what your priorities are.

Edited by Kilps (see edit history)

It also depends on how tall you are. I am 6ft and can only get one child in the back as my wife is a midget.

If you have two kids and this is your only car, you will have problems for sure.

H.

Same. Not even my little girl can fit behind me, unless its a short journey, in which case I put up with being a little cramped.

Guest boostmesoop
had my supra for 16 years now, had no problems with baby/child seat. my son is now 15 years old and is too big for back seats lol. I think the back seats are ok for ages upto about 11 to 12 years old.

Yes! Thought I was doomed for a minute there does this mean its still a viable option?:)

Entirely up to you really if you want to be using a supra as an only family car. If you are talking about boot space for buggys etc then I'd say you will struggle mate. Then there is the noise, unless its a stock ish exhaust then you might be ok but the neighbours will be woken for sure :) personally if I had a family and a supra was the only family car I would struggle I think. To live with a 400hp supra as a daily car is great there excellent and low maintenance as very little goes wrong really but as a family daily and only car I'm not sure it's the right choice.

:rolleyes:

You did ask the question. You got an honest answer.

had my supra for 16 years now, had no problems with baby/child seat. my son is now 15 years old and is too big for back seats lol. I think the back seats are ok for ages upto about 11 to 12 years old.

Really. It's funny that I can't get both my 6 and 10 year olds in the back of ours with two front passengers. Maybe you are 5ft 1" like my wife? Or just have a bigger Supra than me.

Yes! Thought I was doomed for a minute there does this mean its still a viable option?:)

If you don't want to listen to reason, it is always a viable option. Go ahead, party on and enjoy.

H.

With two kids, as an only car, I'd say it's not viable. My exes kids were 8 and 9 when I met her, and it had to go by the time they'd reached 10 (I'm not especially tall, so there was a teeny bit of legroom for them).

645 is a lovely car, but if you're craving power (and presumably boot space is an issue too... something the supra is shocking for) why not get an R33 GTR?

Guest boostmesoop
With two kids, as an only car, I'd say it's not viable. My exes kids were 8 and 9 when I met her, and it had to go by the time they'd reached 10 (I'm not especially tall, so there was a teeny bit of legroom for them).

645 is a lovely car, but if you're craving power (and presumably boot space is an issue too... something the supra is shocking for) why not get an R33 GTR?

Guy above I appreciate your honest opinions was just a bit of hope but I think I knew that as a one car stable there not really an option .

Funny you should say that because I have been looking at the 33 too.

You did ask the question. You got an honest answer.

Really. It's funny that I can't get both my 6 and 10 year olds in the back of ours with two front passengers. Maybe you are 5ft 1" like my wife? Or just have a bigger Supra than me.

If you don't want to listen to reason, it is always a viable option. Go ahead, party on and enjoy.

H.

As Havard said you would struggle with 2 children as they grow. I only had one child who was behind the passenger seat, so didn't affect me at all, the wife moved her seat forward as he grew. I bought the wife her very own £1000 nissan micra a few years ago, no expense spared there, now we can enjoy the supra without the wife shouting "SLOW DOWN" lol. If you put the child seat behind you and the 5 year old behind the wife it could give you about 3 years of supra driving, then you will have to buy the wife a cheap run about, lol

As Havard said you would struggle with 2 children as they grow. I only had one child who was behind the passenger seat, so didn't affect me at all, the wife moved her seat forward as he grew. I bought the wife her very own £1000 nissan micra a few years ago, no expense spared there, now we can enjoy the supra without the wife shouting "SLOW DOWN" lol. If you put the child seat behind you and the 5 year old behind the wife it could give you about 3 years of supra driving, then you will have to buy the wife a cheap run about, lol

Aah, it now becomes clear. You are doing it the way my wife and I did in the NA. Me driving with no room behind and my wife and 5 year old at the time on the passenger side. The problem then comes with the second child as it did with us.

Even a baby seat makes it very tight. Once the child is 3 and on a booster set then you have no chance. I would be looking at an RS4 or Maserati Quattroporte for your budget. Audi/BMW/Merc do a lot of performance 4 door cars to consider.

H.

im 6ft 2in and my drivers seat is touching the rear seat , we have a little girl and that great as the wife is not that talk , problem is when the person in the front moves forward to give the person the room in the back they get a glove box in there shins, family car no, a supra is best suited as a weekend toy sorry to say, unless your a small family of japs then its great lol

Have I missed why you don't want 2 cars? If you've got 20K to spend get a really nice Supra for £8-10K then spend 6 or 7 thousand on a nice old estate. I fully recommend the Honda Accord and if you get the 2.4 you can still have a little bit of fun with the family onboard but keep the real fun for when you're on your own.

Anyone got a decent picture of their boot open? :sly:

You cannot put a child in the boot. Unless they have been naughty.

im 6ft 2in and my drivers seat is touching the rear seat , we have a little girl and that great as the wife is not that talk , problem is when the person in the front moves forward to give the person the room in the back they get a glove box in there shins, family car no, a supra is best suited as a weekend toy sorry to say, unless your a small family of japs then its great lol

Racist...!!

Ask Ed :rlol:

Ed has never seen his boot Fitz.

Have I missed why you don't want 2 cars? If you've got 20K to spend get a really nice Supra for £8-10K then spend 6 or 7 thousand on a nice old estate. I fully recommend the Honda Accord and if you get the 2.4 you can still have a little bit of fun with the family onboard but keep the real fun for when you're on your own.

I thought about this after I posted last. You can get a lot of used car(s) with 20K. You could by Sted's Tiptronic and still have 10 - 12K as a budget for a decent car. Obviously running of two cars will be higher but it also gives you options too. Got to be a value on that.