The mkiv Supra Owners Club

History of the M series engine which evolved into the JZ

Sharpie

Originally posted by Aerotop Dave

Absolutely awesome - the front, the interior, the rear... it all looks fantastic. I wonder how many are left and what they go for. Someone should do a kit.

well there were 337 - 339 produced, some LHD (50 odd went to the US), and umm.. I've seen an LHD one for sale for EUR125!! That's a lotta money!! (nearly £100k)

I'd have one. Either that, or an Alfa TZ2.

Something got my attention on the engine history page - didn't realise there was an updated 1JZ-GTE with VVTi in production from '97, the same time they updated the 2JZ-GTE and also interestingly they changed from the parallel twin turbo system to a single turbo:

Engine

Year

Capacity

Comp’ Ratio

HP @ RPM

Carburetion

1JZ-GTE

97 –

2491cc

9.0:1

280 @ 6200

EFI, Air/Air, Single Turbo, VVTi

I wonder what car has this engine in it and what turbo it uses - anyone know? Could be a great basis for tuning as it'd be easy to put on a larger turbo whilst keeping the stock manifold.

Cheers,

Brian.

Yep I meant VVti single turbo version 1JZ-GTE Dave.

Just found it in a '99 model (JZX100 designation) Chaser with a 5-speed manual transmission, variant Tourer V TBO:

http://www.caanet.jp/ctnet/3/L200145296.jpg

http://www.caanet.jp/ctnet/3/L300145296.jpg