The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel Refurbing / Chroming

Graham S

Right, i know its not to everyones taste, but at the start of my 'get it ready for summer' project, i'm looking at getting the wheels refurbed as they really let the car down, i know your probably thinking get new ones, but would rather keep the car looking clean and new looking than start to change things, plus the huge price difference.

Anyway what i'm trying to say is i'm looking for somewhere that can refurb my standard UK 17's and either polish them or chrome them, I've been given a number from Leett for a place in Slough who apparently charge £40 a wheel, but i'm wondering if anyone has any other known places to go??

Thanks in advance!!

£40 per wheel? For the refurb?

Thats very cheap TBH... go with them!

For Chroming, you'd be looking at about £1000+ per set easily.

And theres only 2 places in the country that can do it, so they don't have to do it any cheaper :)

Polishing is much easier/cheaper though. You will need something like Zoopseal to protect the wheel though as it will quickly become tarnished if left untreated.

Best Regards,

Gaz.

I paid £44 per wheel back in Feb 2003 at Bracknell Tyre and Battery on 01344 411323 who got them back to me on the Friday (I dropped them off on the Monday)....Think they use Spit & Polish, I think ??

When I contacted S&P direct they said :

For my UK 17" stock rims:

£169.6 for 4 rims

£29.68 VAT

£199.28 - Total

£24 - Plus £6 per rim for wheel balance/valve

£223.28 - Grand total

They have 3 options:

1, Send them in via courier

2, Bring them in by hand

3, Book the car in

1&2 takes 2-3 days turnaround time

3 is done in a day.

So, I did not deal with the direct and made a good saving.

The rims are still in A1 condition today:

From Feb 2003

stock 17inch rims.jpg

Hey Pete, that is well nice, might have to try them, but sure i tried them a while back, but I said I wanted a polished/chrome finish and they said no, So what kind of finish is that and what did your rims look like before, as mine are pretty shafted!!

Jesus Gaz, i could get new wheels for that! so chroming is a no then, :eek: thanks for the advice..

Keeping them clean is not a problem, the car never goes out in the wet and i'm more than happy to wipe them after i've driven it!!

So does anyone have a pic of what standard 17's look like polished, preferably on a black supe!!!!

Also wanna say how impressed I am for not having a shed load of replies saying how not to get them done cause they look cack, but hey its a personal thing I suppose,

And Ash mate, I've got a number for Paul but not sure if its still the same one as the one I had ages ago..

Originally posted by Graham S

Have you tried Fat wheels?

Got a number Bobbeh, and where are they?

Cheers mate..

Yes, off their website http://www.fatwheels.net :

Workshop and office address:

Fat Wheels

Unit 9, Phase 1

Grace Road

New Road Industrial Estate

Sheerness, Kent

ME12 1DB

Phone: 01795 585111

Fax: 01795 585111

Mobile:07970684502

ooh spooky, if thats your car its a spitting image of mine, and those wheels are pretty much what i'm after, lovely, so how and where do i go about that then, makes the car look so much newer, which is what i'm after!!

god, even the windows are the same!!

I had them done last year but unfortunately Rimz Refurb no longer offer the same service - good for me as nobody else has them but bad for repairs :)

It's basically a paint finish, a friend of mine got his MR2 cam cover powder coated in a very similar finish recently.

Originally posted by Homer

Hi Graham,

I'm getting my 3 piece wheels refurbished on Monday by Amazing Alloys - I've been quoted £70 per wheel but not sure if this is a good price or not!! You'll see the results on Saturday :)

Darryl

is graham sorting your oil leaks on saturday? if so i'll pop over and say hello:)

Homer thats good for split rims i think, what kind of finish you getting??

BTW might need reg and chassis no. sometime to order the bits, cheers mate, you were gonna supply the oils wasn't ya if i remember!! PM the no and reg if ya want!

Lee, you still ok for doing the wiring mod like you did to yours, regarding what you've done :innocent:

Cheers all, will look forward to seeing your wheels Homer!!

Lee, you still ok for doing the wiring mod like you did to yours, regarding what you've done :innocent:

yes no probs mate. what do you want?ettc and fuel cut defender? take your laptop over with you as well as i need to program my rltc

Homer thats good for split rims i think, what kind of finish you getting??

BTW might need reg and chassis no. sometime to order the bits, cheers mate, you were gonna supply the oils wasn't ya if i remember!! PM the no and reg if ya want!

Cheers all, will look forward to seeing your wheels Homer!!

The wheels are going to be grinded and repaired where necessary (there is some curbing damage), painted, lacquered, re-valved, balanced and refitted. The guy that’s doing it is mobile but it’s still a day’s work for him.

PM'd you with the car details :)

thats ok mate, at least I have the number to call them and ask. No worries, got any pics of the whole car so I can see whats its like compaired to mcanny's if you know what I mean, the more I see the more choice I have!! Bit fussy I suppose, just want them to be right!!

No probs man, I understand where you are coming from.

may2003.jpg