The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning polished wheels

James

Having CCW Classics in a fully polished finish now, I need to be a bit more rigorous with my wheel cleaning.

I've done some searching to find the 'best' approach to maintaining them. The following post was found on another forum so I've copied it to here (for safekeeping as much as anything else!) as it quotes Dan at CCW's own recommended products:-

Quick Hand Polishing

Super Shine Aluminum Polish - $10.59 : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products

In Depth Re-polish & Color Buff

High RPM Air Die Grinder (30,000 RPM+ the faster the buff can be spun the hotter the part will get and the better the shine)

1/4 Shank with tapered spiral threads to pinhole 2-1/2 OAL - $5.67 : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products (buff mount)

Round Buffs - $11.32 : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products (cotton buff)

Ultra White Compound Bar [#63023] - $18.99 : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products (low cut; used first to remove any spots or scratches)

Green Compound Bar [#63025] - $10.99 : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products (color buff; used last to bring in the deep shine)

Wheel Sealant (to be applied after polished perfectly to you likings; these are not polishes)

ShineSeal.com ::: Protect Your Products ::: (tested and actually works)

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax (not been tested personally)

Dan

--

Complete Custom Wheel

What I am curious about is if anyone has any good recommendations/experiences with anything else? I was wondering if something like Meguiars Metal Polish would do the trick before using the likes of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant? Or is it going to damage the finish?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Hi matey

GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour is truly awesome stuff. James recommended it to me for the BBS LM alloys and it worked wonders at keeping them clean and easy to degrime after a hard run :) It's expensive but worth it.........

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detailingworld.co.uk%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D189099&ei=01cXUsGECoaY4wSul4DIDw&usg=AFQjCNG6ZkBNG1JdBrh6mydItJx4nTFOGw&bvm=bv.51156542,d.Yms

Greg

Hi matey

GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour is truly awesome stuff. James recommended it to me for the BBS LM alloys and it worked wonders at keeping them clean and easy to degrime after a hard run :) It's expensive but worth it.........

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detailingworld.co.uk%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D189099&ei=01cXUsGECoaY4wSul4DIDw&usg=AFQjCNG6ZkBNG1JdBrh6mydItJx4nTFOGw&bvm=bv.51156542,d.Yms

Greg

This!

As they are new they shouldn't need to much attention with a metal polish, Meguiars will be spot on, then seal them in with C5. It bonds to polished metal much better than Poorboys

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

You seen that pic floating about fb with the girl in the bath cleaning the CCW classic? That's what you want to be doing mate! :D

I have buddy - I'm quite fond of that picture :thumbs:

Though I'd rather she was in the bath cleaning my wheels than me in the bath cleaning my wheels :D

Chromies are a nightmare to look after. I do not drive my car when there is any chance of road salt (even a week or so if it hasn't rained). The number of times my neighbours have cought me cleaning my wheels after a late night meet in the dark.

A labour of love, defo...!!

H.

I bought this 1750 Watt anglegrinder to polish the classics which really works a treat http://www.directindustry.com/prod/gerd-eisenblatter-gmbh/angle-grinders-83927-826097.html , tried first by hand with wolfgang alu polish with an microfibre towel, but takes hours and a lot of sweat. This item however is the best for manually polishing them imo, and will deffinatelly save you time and give the mirrorfinish you would like to have with the right combination of polishing pad and bar to get that mirrorfinish result.

[video=youtube;r-Tv0duY-Vo]

^^ this is a random vid which shows how easy it goes with an angle grinder which is designed for this type of duty not an angle grinder which goes 30K rpm......you need one with an adjustable rpm and 150mm or 200mm pad which will do the trick in a heartbeat.;)

If you want to see the results using ShineSeal, which is available in the UK now at shineseal.co.uk, and you are at the meet tomorrow have a look out for me, YOI 1111. I have been using it over the weekend and although I cannot compare it with any other products, I am impressed with the results

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought some Meguiars metal polish and some Poorboys wheel sealant. Will try to tackle them tomorrow in the early evening hopefully! Either that or Sunday. I'll get some pictures up before and after. I don't have a machine polisher or anything to be as intense as Mario :D However I've only had the car for 6 weeks, so they aren't in too bad a state yet! Just to find a decent brush to get into all of the spokes without damaging them :)