The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloys: What would YOU do?

Ross C

My alloys are Mania Racing Vortex Evolutions and have a polished lip and coated centres. The lips are totally gubbed and I am looking at getting them refurbished. Metal polishing is too expensive on such cheap alloys so am just going to get them powdercoated.

My question to you is, what colour or colour combination would you choose if you were in my position? I have narrowed down to gunmetal, black, silver and a slightly shiney silver below. White has been suggested too. Also added are pics of the car so you can judge overall. I am considering the lip being shiney silver and centres done gunmetal.

I am terrible at making decisions so relying on other peoples ideas haha. What would you do??

I would look at getting them polished properly and then getting the centres done is a light gun metal.

Nothing worse than spending your money and your wheels looking shite. Is it just lacquer damage or are there more serious problems with the rims. Your other option is to save your cash and buy a decent set of wheels in the future. My wheels are not perfect and I could spend a lot of money getting them done. I have decided just to splash out on a new set in a couple of years time.

H.

These are fake split rims i presume ? i'm not 100% sure but aren't the bolts in these plastic ? if they are

and you have them powder coated they will melt when the wheels go in the oven.

Personally if you looking for the cheapest route i'd powder coat them gloss black and get new plastic

bolts to fit in them, then save you cash and buy a really nice set in the future

I'd go for a dark colour all over as it hides the brake dust best and means you dont have to clean them all the time. Shiney wheels are nice it's just the upkeep that is annoying, I've even had chrome wheels before and they were a pain to keep clean. Don't get white unless it matches your baseball cap and Adidas three stripes. :p

Ross, I would seriously consider Tony's wheels rather than refurbing yours. If you include the cost of the refurb with the value of the wheels you will probably be on song for buying T's wheels (ie if you sold yours instead of refurbing).

However, if you are set on refurbishing yours then the only colour I would consider would be a dark anthracite. Nothing else compares on a silver car IMO.

They are not fake splits, no fake bolts, just one piece rims that are cheap rubbish

Sorry i found a wheel that looked just like yours with plastic bolts fitted to them, just

get them chemi stripped and powder coated then

Cost around £200 for 4 and then keep as a good set for the winter