The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Proper way to adjust JIC-FLT-A2's ?

Gamer

I finally have my JIC FLT A2's installed and was wondering what is the proper way to adjust them ?

The only documentation that I have is in Japanese :blink:

As they are now they are riding a bit too high for my liking...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well my supplier is in Japan. I will e-mail them and see what they say. I was hoping some kind soul could at least tell me the basics in the meantime.. ;)

I had to do it yesterday like this:

Jack the car up, take a wheel off, place another jack under the suspension to put it under a bit of load and then lower the spring perch...

My problem is that I have lowered it so much that when the wheel is off load the spring can freely move up and down a bit...

I must be doing it wrong....

So if anyone can help me out in the meantime, that would be great

So thats it then... I guess because I did not purchase it from one of the listed suppliers on here I am on my own... Nice one.

Cheers for the help ;)

Kind of puts a "damper" on the single turbo kit that I "was" going to get.....

All I needed was some simple instruction, sorry it was such a hassle for someone to type out.

Depending on the inside diameter of the springs used I may be able to get you "helper" springs that are flat steel spring strip springs an inch to a few inches in height uncompressed and about 1/4 inch compressed, that keep the main spring under light tension when the lower seat is down so far as to release all preload on the main spring. Running with the main spring rattling loose under full droop risks the spring dropping out of one of its seats, which is very bad. You may be trying to lower the car more than the design criteria of the damper / spring combination caters for, however. Running the MKIV lower than about 30 mm lower than stock at the front and 20 mm at the rear sends the suspension kinematics (the way the roll centres move, and the camber change curves) to pot, and screws up the handling anyway.

Heres a little giude for you:) http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=438

Remeber The JIC-FLT-A2 also have ajustable bottom shock cups on them to give your more range of ajustment . Ie they can be wound out or in. So you can bring the platfroms back into their lowering/raising range.....Just make sure they are all wound out or in to the same height before starting to mess with the platforms:thumbs:

Originally posted by Gamer

So thats it then... I guess because I did not purchase it from one of the listed suppliers on here I am on my own... Nice one.

I dont know if there is any underlying reason for it, but I am really surprised that no one (apart from Chris) was willing to give you any advice on this.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

My faith is now restored as well. :D

Thanks for the info guys, I will read that link you provided Migster cheers.

I thought the bottom cup could be adjusted, I just wanted to make sure before I messed with it...

Chris,

I would be interested in paying you a visit in your shop once I get my AEM C2DI delivered from Envy. Do you have any experience installing that by any chance ?

I would also like to have the engine checked out to make sure that I am getting the most I can from it as it is now. If you hit the "My Ride" link I have you can get an idea of what bits I currently have on her so you can have an idea of what shes packing at the moment...

Let me know

No probs..thats link shows the basic set up ...yours has the cups like i say ..so if you wind them right in ...your are therefore shortening the shock with out touching the platforms ..and vise versa. make sure the lock nut is well done up also....hope that make sence and helps;) :thumbs:

It's all good now. I have a general idea of what is needed to be done. I thought the bottom cup could be adjusted from the beginning but as they are gas charged and have warning stickers on them and all I did not want to take a chance.

Sorry if I got a bit stroppy, I was just a bit confused as the JIC-FLT-A2's are highly regarded by some on this site and it was a major influence on my purchasing them. So the lack of knowledge on it was a bit surprising. :innocent:

Wind them right off and then wind them back on on while counting the turns ...putting a felt mark on them will help.. ..do the backs the same as each other ..then the fronts ... then to a meassure from bottom cup to top off shock body to make sure they are the same....you will be fine:thumbs: