The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD Diff Question?

Jellybean

1. Is the TRD mechanical LSD , 1.5-way selective, and can optionally be switched over to a 2-way without any additional parts ? From what I understand all FR TRD diffs are only Two way ?
  2. What oil to People use 75W 90?
  3. How often do you change the oil?
  4. What is the Difference in Having a UK spec casing versus JDM? Crown and pinion Ratio? UK spec has higher top end and JDM quicker acceleration?

The TRD is switchable between 1.5 and 2 way, though most I've seen are 2 way (including mine)

You'll need a heavier oil than 75w90, I was recommended 75w140 but there are many options, I asked the same question a couple of months ago: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291609-Which-diff-oil-TRD&highlight=trd+diff

oil changes would depend on use, but I'd say every 3 years for a road car.

I believe the crown and pinion wheels are different on the large casing diff, The diff itself is different too, I believe it to do with the bolt pattern being 12 instead of 10 (or similar :) ) If you go large casing you'll also need to change one of the driveshaft's and the rear section of the prop

Don't take that for gospel though, Nic is one of the guys that really knows about this stuff.

The TRD is switchable between 1.5 and 2 way, though most I've seen are 2 way (including mine)

You'll need a heavier oil than 75w90, I was recommended 75w140 but there are many options, I asked the same question a couple of months ago: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291609-Which-diff-oil-TRD&highlight=trd+diff

oil changes would depend on use, but I'd say every 3 years for a road car.

I believe the crown and pinion wheels are different on the large casing diff, The diff itself is different too, I believe it to do with the bolt pattern being 12 instead of 10 (or similar :) ) If you go large casing you'll also need to change one of the driveshaft's and the rear section of the prop

Don't take that for gospel though, Nic is one of the guys that really knows about this stuff.

Actually I believe the driveshafts don't need changing, althought the manual states there are differences I have a set of UK and jspec driveshafts, and they are exactly the same lenght, even when compressed to their minimal length?