The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traffic light grand prix

tepster

Ok, im at the lights in an auto tt supra.

How to get off the line quickest??

o/d off or on? manu on/up/down which ever way it goes...

funny red button by gear stick on/off (seen m.i.b 2- dont touch strange buttons)

Stick it in 2 and floor it....???

Going to thruxton on sunday 5th any advice from u top boys and girls??

:confused:

Powerbrake it.

Stick it in D, foot on the brake, give it a little gas (maybe up to about 2000rpm?), then simultaneously floor it and release the brake.

Keep the length of time you are applying both pedals as short as possible, or you can boil your transmission fluid and it really won't do your gearbox much good anyway.

Maybe using Manu mode would help a little too, although I never bother.

James.

By the way, the funny red button by the gear stick is the supra equivalent of the flux capacitor. Press it and you get transported back to 1985. This will require you to deal with the severe ramifications of time travel which outweigh even the risk of boiling your transmission fluid.

... okay, so its secondary purpose is to allow you to move out of Park with the ignition off. Useful when you're taking the dash panel off and the gear stick is in the way :)

Originally posted by tepster

Going to thruxton on sunday 5th any advice from u top boys and girls??

:confused:

Pray for good weather? :p I'd love to do Thruxton, super fast. They only do a very few track days a year though and have strict noise limits. I've got a whole load of stuff in my circuit guide about it. Here's an excerpt:

Competitors remember Thruxton for the featureless, high speed plunge through the countryside at the back of the circuit. Distinctive corners like Goodwood and Church are made doubly difficult for the thruxton virgin by a dearth of decent reference points, and a limited view of what seem to be never ending curves. Once learned, it is one of the most subtle and satifying bits of racetrack around.

My advice for all trackdays is:

1. Start slow and build up speed, don't think you're a shit hot driver and try to go too fast straight away or you'll probably stuff it into the tyres.

2. Never time yourself, or try and race everyone else, you'll only end up trying to push too hard to beat your own time.

My first track day I didn't do either of these, it was pissing it down and I ended up in the tyres quite early on (only a small impact, but still expensive).

Originally posted by JamesG

Powerbrake it.

Stick it in D, foot on the brake, give it a little gas (maybe up to about 2000rpm?), then simultaneously floor it and release the brake.

I always wondered what the technical term for that race technic was :innocent:

Suppose it would work on a NA Supra,.... wouldn't it?

btw: my flux capacitor has broken and I can't get back to the future and my home time of 2020. Shame cuz I was just on my way to the local Toyota showroom to pick my new Supra mk6.

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

btw: my flux capacitor has broken and I can't get back to the future and my home time of 2020. Shame cuz I was just on my way to the local Toyota showroom to pick my new Supra mk6.

You honestly think that Toyota will start winning F1 Races by 2020?!?! :p

Cheers,

Brian.