The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New Supra!!

al02uk

Evening all,

I've been away for a while after I sold my N/A supra. I also sold my Subaru as I decided I was going to be sensible.

I spotted this UK TT Supra in auto trader and managed to haggle the guy down to £3250.

It has full Toyota service history and loads of documentation, no little bits missing and all the electrics work. The engine seems pretty solid.

The bad bits are: bits of rust near the front window (I think a chip guy could sort it out), there is a noise which comes from the O/S/F wheel when you turn the steering wheel to the right when stationary, its fine when driving, any ideas on this issue will be much appreciated. I'm not keen on the interior colour.

I think I did ok, I know here aren't many UK Supras around, so I thought I'd give this a go.

What do you think?

Andy

What mileage has it done ? £3250 for a straight uk tt is a bargin unless its been to the moon and back :)

Regarding the noise i'd jack that corner up and do a few simple checks, spin the wheel and check

wheel bearing for noise and play and check lower arm bushes and suspension bolts etc .

Can you describe the noise ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What mileage has it done ? £3250 for a straight uk tt is a bargin unless its been to the moon and back :)

Yeah, its done a lot of mileage, around 200k. Didn't really put me off though as my N/A had done 150k and I couldn't fault it.

The idea with this is to have someone look over the engine and see how tired it is and perhaps rebuild the bottom end. I have around 5k to spend on it.

My other half is in USA so she may have to send me a new bottom end as a "gift" to avoid import tax (if that's possible of course)

Regarding the noise i'd jack that corner up and do a few simple checks, spin the wheel and check

wheel bearing for noise and play and check lower arm bushes and suspension bolts etc .

Can you describe the noise ?

Sorry Dnk, I didn't see this. The noise sounds like something I would expect to hear if perhaps a calliper had seized or I had my foot on the brakes and I was trying to move, if that makes sense? its like a high pitched metallic sound. It only happens when stationary or at very low speed, like 10mph. above 10mph it stops.

I'll have a look like you suggested to see if there's anything obvious. Thanks for the advise.

Sorry Dnk, I didn't see this. The noise sounds like something I would expect to hear if perhaps a calliper had seized or I had my foot on the brakes and I was trying to move, if that makes sense? its like a high pitched metallic sound. It only happens when stationary or at very low speed, like 10mph. above 10mph it stops.

I'll have a look like you suggested to see if there's anything obvious. Thanks for the advise.

Have a close look at the brakes then, if they're the originals and not been

refurbed they will be on the verge if not already failing due to the outer piston

dirt seals splitting or getting holes in them which will let moisture

and dirt get down the side of the pistons causing them to seize.

With the age and mileage on this car i'd be going over it very thoroughly

and go through the bills receipts etc to see whats been changed on it over

the years.

I chatted to the owner of this before that dealer bought it… Needs new turbo's/ a refurb was the conclusion I drew from what he told me about it, and valve stem seals need doing. £500 for the VSS and then 900-1000 for a turbo refurb.. Basically throw 2K plus the paintwork at it and you'll have a nice car.

Full Toyota service history, so I would have thought it's been ran on good oil it's whole life, the bottom end should be ok at stock power, I wouldn't push it too hard though. :)

Another point is; That dealer is obviously scouting on here and abusing the PM System too buy Cars…. Needs to be stopped now we know who it is...

With the mileage its done and age i hope you find lots of receipts for replaced parts or it

could turn into a money pit rather than the bargin it first seems.

All the best with it though

- - - Updated - - -

I chatted to the owner of this before that dealer bought it… Needs new turbo's/ a refurb was the conclusion I drew from what he told me about it, and valve stem seals need doing. £500 for the VSS and then 900-1000 for a turbo refurb.. Basically throw 2K plus the paintwork at it and you'll have a nice car.

Full Toyota service history, so I would have thought it's been ran on good oil it's whole life, the bottom end should be ok at stock power, I wouldn't push it too hard though. :)

Another point is; That dealer is obviously scouting on here and abusing the PM System too buy Cars…. Needs to be stopped now we know who it is...

Who ?

I could do the valve stem seals myself using the guide on here, although there doesn't seem to be any sign that they need replacing. Fefurbing the turbo's seems plausible given the mileage.

There are a load of receipts from the Toyota garage in Bracknell, this includes both rear shocks replaced, all brake hoses, turbo coolant pipes and gaskets etc. I think its been well looked after, its had 28 dealer services.

To be honest, I expect it to be a bit of a money pit. I put 12k into the engine alone on my Subaru and only ended up getting 10k for the whole car. I don't want to go that crazy mind.

Just as a heads up regarding parts i had to replace and problems i had on my uk

spec a few years ago, it had done around 110k.

Radiator & cap, thermostat, heater matrix, diff cooler rad, valve stem seals, cam

cover seals, heater hoses, crank pulley, seizing calipers due to outer dirt seals

failing, seized eccentric adjusters on lower suspension arms, main steel brake lines

corrode badly up around the rear axle. shocks failed on rear, engine mounts, smic

intercooler fins crumbled to bits even though it looked ok, a/c rad

Well I've just got back from having the wheels off, I checked everything at it all seemed fine. Checked brake lines too, all ok. I put the wheels back on and the noise has vanished? so not really sure what the cause was. I took it for a test run and everything seems to be ok. It might just be because it has been sat. The disks and pads do need changing on the front though.

And thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.