The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BC Racing Coilover set up?

tony tt

I've now done 500 miles with these fitted which was recommended by the garage to let them settle first before any dampers were adjusted. So my question is who has them and what settings would you recommend to put them at?

Scott M don't reply to this I already know what you think of BC you Cnut :)

I have these.

When I set mine up (the last owner had them all over the place!!!) I adjusted the height, and measured each front, and each rear, to make sure the pairs matched.

As for the stiffness of them, I counted how many clicks there were on the adjustment screws/knobs on the top, from 0 to the top (I think it was 30 or so) and set all of mine to the middle.

Mine is very comfortable on good roads, but on bad condition roads (unsmooth with missing tarmac etc) I do feel the bumps, but most roads are good around my way, so I sacrificed a little bit of comfort for more stiffness.

It's all down to personal preference really.

I would set them to the middle, go for a decent drive, then soften/harden as preferred. Just make sure whatever you do on one side, you do on the other. Front to rear can be different though, but I'm sure you know that anyway.

30 is soft 0 is hard when they come from the factory they are set at 8.

Try 21 front and 18 rear then :D

I can't remember my exact thinking behind it but I believe it's better to have harder shocks on the rear to stop it from springing up when you launch.

I could be entirely making that up though lol.

I know I left them moderately soft all around though, as the roads around here aren't great. Remember that it's only the dampening you are adjusting, even on the softest setting they will still be a lot stiffer than stock, it's just how easily the suspension rebounds that is being adjusted.

I have my fronts on 16 and the rears at the softest possible setting, I always thought softer shocks were better for launching but I find my traction terrible, maybe I should try them in the middle and see if that makes it better.

Common misconception.

What you want is softer springs.. harder shocks. The softer springs allow the back end to squat down as you accelerate, the harder shocks stop it from immediately springing up as soon as the momentum changes to forward movement.... thus giving a controlled exit from the squat.... thus giving more grip.

Hard springs with soft shocks will generally give massive wheelhop/terrible grip. The best we can do with such a setup is to tighten up the rear a bit. When wanting a proper launch it's best to set the rear shocks to full on hard.

Common misconception.

What you want is softer springs.. harder shocks. The softer springs allow the back end to squat down as you accelerate, the harder shocks stop it from immediately springing up as soon as the momentum changes to forward movement.... thus giving a controlled exit from the squat.... thus giving more grip

Hard springs with soft shocks will generally give massive wheelhop/terrible grip. The best we can do with such a setup is to tighten up the rear a bit. When wanting a proper launch it's best to set the rear shocks to full on hard.

That is a massive help Scott thanks, I shall try that out tomorrow now you explain it like that makes perfect sense.

Common misconception.

What you want is softer springs.. harder shocks. The softer springs allow the back end to squat down as you accelerate, the harder shocks stop it from immediately springing up as soon as the momentum changes to forward movement.... thus giving a controlled exit from the squat.... thus giving more grip.

great explanation. :thumbs: