The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Marc_P + Club Spirit = Happy Marbleapple

marbleapple

Afternoon All,

For those that don’t want a long read:

Despite having never met me before, marc_P and his friend James showed incredible club spirit by spending the whole evening last night fixing my car and explaining to me how it actually worked.

Long read:

As some of you will know I’d been having some problems with my car and despite my best endeavours I couldn’t find what was wrong with it. People in the help thread were clearly confused by the contradictory information I was giving them. The actual technical thread is below but in short, the boost gauge was jumping up 2.0, second turbo wasn’t kicking in, AFR gauge was going up to 17 as boost went up to 2.0 and the car hadn’t actually exploded.

Technical thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?294974-2nd-turbo-not-coming-on-Help-Appreciated!

Seeing how much of a mess I was getting myself into in my technical thread, marc_P suggested that I could pop round to his one evening for him to have a look at the car.

So, last night with the bank holiday quickly approaching I took Marc up on his invitation and drove across to his rather impressive pad. After being shown around his garage and drooling over his amazing car, he and his friend James (another top bloke) went to town investigating my bizarre claims about what the car was doing.

I didn’t really know what to expect, since I can count the number of club members I have previously met on three fingers. Despite having never met Marc or James before both went out of their way to make me feel welcome and explained to me in very (very) simple terms what they were doing and what the impact of their ‘finds’ were. I learnt a hell of a lot last night for which I am very grateful. They made me realise quite how brilliant our forum is and how very little I know compared to most!

In the space of 3 hours they found and fixed the following:

- Boost gauge was plumbed into the traction control which was giving off incorrect readings (explaining why the gauge said I was hitting 2.0 boost)

- A split/very nearly split hose – which Marc replaced from his own hose supply

- A cable (not sure which) had come loose and was rubbing against a belt, making a mess of the cable and in turn making some very weird noises.

- Some of the pipes were under tightened and thus loose

- The boost controller was set up incorrectly. I didn’t overly understand this bit but I think it was seriously restricting things and the 2nd setting was set to seriously over push things so which ever I chose caused a problem.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on enough but I just wanted to let everyone know what a brilliant help Marc and James were last night. I'm going to force them to let me buy them a beer in the not so distant future!

It’s a different car now and driving home was a lot of fun!

Bring on Heritage on Monday!!

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

Yep mark is a great bloke. So glad its not blown up!

How it got in that state with the boost guage I don't know. When we drove the car when you picked it up it behaved fine!

Iv never touched the boost guage setting. I never understood how to set it so after it was installed just let it be.

You didn't confuse it with the radio did you :p

Yep mark is a great bloke. So glad its not blown up!

How it got in that state with the boost guage I don't know. When we drove the car when you picked it up it behaved fine!

Iv never touched the boost guage setting. I never understood how to set it so after it was installed just let it be.

You didn't confuse it with the radio did you :p

Guigsy,

Don't worry about it. As Marc will no doubt confirm i've kept singing your praises all yesterday evening. I agree that the gauge wasn't jumping when I bought it although it must have been plumbed in wrong at the time because I didn't even know you had to plug a gauge in until I learn about it yesterday!

I imagine the setting has been wrong since it was installed. I remember you saying you just left it. I did too on your ionstruction once I realised it didn't have a cd player. :D

great when this happens :D welldone guys great club spirit

You're also owed a thank you for offering to send me the radio booster. THANK YOU.

Good to meet you last night Ric, always enjoy fiddling with Supra's :D

But yes, when we first went out in the car it was jumping to 2.0 bar and being a Defi gauge I trusted that what it was reading was correct, but as the turbos were still working it couldn't possibly be going to that pressure in the chamber, then we saw that it was plumbed into the trac control vac pipe :D

The second turbo issue was partly down to the fact that the boost controller settings were a bit iffy causing the boost to spike, there may be a sticky actuator at play aswell, but as the car hasn't had much use we'll see how it gets on with it being used a little more.

Also, like I said, we'll start fiddling with the gain settings on Monday(as I put them low, I think it was 5, to make sure it didn't spike) so it starts performing like a BPU should :)