The mkiv Supra Owners Club

reliability...how much fixing your car?

Guest SL1D3Y

Guest SL1D3Y

Hi guys,

Was just thinking about the mk4's claims of being bullet proof (good ol toyota)....

BUT how much have you spent on fixing your car over the years?!

Im not taking general stuff like service and modding, just fixing faults/problems.

Could you mention if it was a fault/problem related to a modification that you made thou?

Will be interesting to see how truely well built these cars are!

Oh and can you add in its spec, e.g n/a 5spd or tt6; vvti or not?

I know some will have been abused and not looked after 'dogs' so expecting a few big bills to crop up! :-P

Cheers

mikey

1993 n/a auto, in ten years ownership

Rebuilt starter motor with toyota parts cost about £15

Radiator,

Coil pack that goes to distributor £45

All four shock absorbers failed,

Original exhaust rotted away

and thats it for ten years of motoring (and it was my daily driver)

£0

That's in over two years of ownership of my current Supra.

Now I have spent thousands on modifying it & other bits an bobs including a new clutch, going from an NA6 to a TT6 VVTi but actually nothing actually has broke which has needed fixing. On my previous Supra I spent about £300 when the crank pulley came off & another £5 to replace the rubber exhaust mount an the rest was money spent on up keeping & modding!

Same as most I guess

Other than Modifications

£250 on a new Crank Pulley and £40 on a 2nd hand Alternator, these were when the car was still N/A 5-speed and I did about 40-50 thousand miles in it before going TT

I am not even going to consider how much I have spent on mods though

I just spent £160 getting an injector repaired and the other five refurbished as well, they had to go to America so that's not bad considering :) Before that, errrrr... Oh yes £70 on a drivers' seatbelt as it wasn't retracting. Um, struggling to think of anything else really over the last few years. PAS pump and wheel bearing about 8 years ago? :D

To this day it's still running the same bulbs it had in when I bought it 12 years ago :blink:

My Suki's a '95 JDM RZ. Money on mods = FAR TOO MUCH (:eek:) but as for repairs...

Radiator cracked on a track day

Original 2nd decat pipe (fitted in Japan I think) rotted through during a particularly obnoxious Catterick winter :rolleyes:

Second turbo spat itself out of the exhaust (4 years at increased boost)

Diff exploded at the Pod (running 700-odd bhp through it in fairness :D)

And I think that's it for five years of ownership and constant modification / upgrades. :)

New Crank pulley, oil pump, aux belt and cam belt, came to around £400. I only did the belts and pump as the crank pulley was off and I had easy access to them.

Other tha that, nothing in 4 years of supra ownership (My old NA was bulletproof in the 2 years I had it.)

Might need a new radiator soon though.

Also, currently have a slightly binding front calliper, which I'm replacing with UK brakes for around £300, but that's choice not necessity. I could go JSpec again for pennies.

Oh, and mine is a NA-TT 1993 5 speed manual.

Guest SL1D3Y

Just as i was thinking, these cars have reputations for a reason!

Thats some cheap motoring compared to what you spend fixing new 'electronic' era cars!

Thats some cheap motoring compared to what you spend fixing new 'electronic' era cars!

Remember though, a lot of us here do our own work, so we don't pay labour costs. Helps to keep the costs right down ;)

Yes indeed, though they still aren't cheap to maintain as you don't want to skimp on these cars :)

Mine has just cost me (well it's still in the garage at the moment) £800 to have a boostlogic auto box rebuilt as I think the pump has failed (most likely wrong oil causing it to clog up).

So having the whole thing stripped down and almost everything replaced with further strengthened american parts. I don't think £800 is too bad to have a £2500 box refurbished (includes parts and labor)

Nothing original/OEM has gone wrong except a front caliper was sticking a bit.

TT Auto

On my current one, since it was (re)built 4 years ago I've only replaced parts I've fitted that turned out to be faulty (wheels, clutch, flywheel and rear wheel bearing). It's never broken down and as for failures of parts it hasn't cost a penny.

I'm also a bit naughty as I've never serviced it or changed the oil :innocent: It's only an NA with an engine from a scrap yard...

£0

That's in over two years of ownership of my current Supra.

Now I have spent thousands on modifying it & other bits an bobs including a new clutch, going from an NA6 to a TT6 VVTi but actually nothing actually has broke which has needed fixing. On my previous Supra I spent about £300 when the crank pulley came off & another £5 to replace the rubber exhaust mount an the rest was money spent on up keeping & modding!

Same boat as Abz, well not exactly the same :D But I haven't spent anything on repairs. Its all on the mods and general services