The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help deciding what Supra to buy!

Guest Shammy

Guest Shammy

Hey guys, new (returning) member here. I need some advice on what Supra to go for!

I initially wanted a TT, but looks like I won't be able to afford that at the moment (maybe next year) so I'm wanting a N/A. Trouble is, having never driven or even sat in a Supra before I'm really unsure which one to go for.

I REALLY fancy an Aerotop, but then they only come in automatic, I quite fancy a manual but then they don't come in Aerotop! :blink: I'm not sure what would give me more pleasure... the Aerotop or the manual? I'm leaning towards the Aerotop... can anyone here convince me either way?

I've cut my budget down to £3000, ideally less if possible... can I find a decent one for that much? I have my eye on a few right now but I can't tell whether they're decent or not without viewing them... and they're all the way in London so not easy for me to do!

One aspect which has caught my attention after scouring the forums is the cost... I can afford the insurance/tax/fuel etc, it will sorely be a weekend toy (and the occasional track day) as I get the bus to work and back everyday, so maximum of 80miles a month.. almost all city driving. That's all fine, the main concern is when things go wrong, I hear that they're very expensive to repair? How expensive are we talking, £200 or so every time something goes wrong (I know it's hard to say without knowing what is broken etc)?

Anyway, I really don't need a car but I want one, and I want it to be special to drive around when I get the chance, hence turning to a Supra. Just thought I'd ask you guys what's what as no doubt some of you folk will have been in the same position as me at one point or another!

Thanks in advance :)

I would go for the NA manual, especially if your aiming for the odd track day etc. The aerotop is great for cruising on a nice summers day, but it's a chore to get in and out and in real world situations how many times do you think you would really use it?

Things aren't that expensive when they go wrong in my opinion - a whole NA engine with ancillaries can be purchased for a few hundred pound for example. The most expensive thing is probably all the suspension and bushes so best to check that's in good condition. Also, check for rust underneath as after all some of these cars are 20 years old now.

Guest Shammy

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got a few more questions, namely is the Aerotop more expensive than the equvalent non-aero? Is there a premium on them?

I am looking at an Aero for around £1800 but it has quite a few advisories on it's previous MOT (expires next June). These being: suspension compnent rusting, rear suspension component rusting, rear strut gaitors torn, and (original) under trays obscuring some components.

Am I right in thinking that this will be very costly to fix? I've heard rusting suspension is a BAD thing and expensive to fix, does anyone have a rough estimate?

Most of the suspension arms are aluminium.....it wouldn't put me off that a near on 20 year old car has under body rusty components and they are only advisory's and so that particular MOT tester may have been a bit pickier than others. Play in suspension bushes may have been more costly.

Buy cheap... buy twice, please remember this.

You can get a manual aerotop, they are facelift only and worth a lot more than your budget is allowing. I would honestly say to you not to buy a Supra, it's not the car to buy on a budget. When you get to the point where you have 5k to spare you can take your pick of the best of the best and be safe in the knowledge that you won't need to spend another penny on the car for YEARS.

Buy a dog and you'll wee your wages into it and get completely put off. The people are generally selling these cars at this price for a reason, hoping that someone who wants a bargain will come along.

Do you reckon Manual aerotops were introduced to jdm/ukdm ? I'v been looking for a supra for the last 2 months and have searched a lotttt! ukdm and jdm aerotops supras were onto automatics! even the facelift ones! E.G.....

http://www.paulbrowncars.co.uk/car_Toyota--Supra-Aerotop-Late-F_45__index.php

No, I realised my mistake when Sunny posted (got confused over the 6spd facelift introduction) but dangled out a hook anyway lol.

Nope, I was satisfied with my original post ;)

I'm getting too well known :(

Guest Shammy

Thanks for the replies guys.

Josh, that is an absolutely gorgeous car! If I've not found one in a month or two then i'll give you a shout if you still have it.

Ideally, I'm just looking for a decent Supra to enjoy driving on the weekends and take to the occassional track day. I just want one now to get used to having the car etc, with the view of going to a TT later on down the line. I'm sure I can get a decent one for around £3000, I don't really want to pay much more than that as I personally don't think it's worth it for a N/A.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on importing? A few people have mentioned that to me but I think it's better off going that route for a TT with a good budget?