The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gas smell in cabin

bodilx6

I smell a destinct gasoline smell when I open my door after the car has been standing for some hours or days. Only place I can think of is the tank, but everything looks dry down around the pump sink app except for some thick goo that probably is some under sealant. Also, there is no gas smell at all down there.

Any idea of where else it can come from? Any fuel line I don't know about that might be able to let anything into the heater system from the engine bay, though it sounds kind of far fetched. I just can't think of anything except the tank itself...

I had this when I rebuilt my current Supra. Pull up the boot carpet, remove the spare wheel and then the top tank cover. Have a drive around and see if there's any fluid leaking from the joints or rubber pipes (it'll evaporate quickly, so best to do after a drive). There are a couple of hoses under there that can perish, very cheap and easy to fix if that's the cause.