The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT Engine Demand?

SPG

Hi people,

Just wondering as I may be down sizing my person collection of Supra parts, what is the general demand for TT Enigine conversions these days.

I know the NA lads are doing a lot of credible NA/T work these days, and the Drift lads seem to be using out engines in many different applications also.

I'm guessing that NA/T route is not suited to everyone, so for that reason I'm guessing these owners would prefer a GTE lump. Would you guys say that VVTi lumps are less desirable than Non-VVTi? Or more?

Well I have had my Spare non VVTi TT engine for sale for a few months now - granted I am only selling to the UK but rewind a year this would have been snapped up quickly!

It seems I am not alone either, there have been a couple of TT engines (Non VVTi and VVTi) up for sale recently which are/were also struggling to find buyers.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I think this might be the fact that the NA owners are experimenting more with the GE engines, historically the natural upgrade was a TT conversion.

Rich we're you selling a long block or a complete engine conversion (with Turbos)

I think its more the remaining na owners are not prepared to pay £2k+ for a tt engine when u can get a full tt car for £3.5k (albeit a bit bashed up on outside) with seats, wheels, tyres etc. etc.

I am after one but £2k+ for tt engine is way over priced for me. So waiting until the prices get more realistic.

I think its more the remaining na owners are not prepared to pay £2k+ for a tt engine when u can get a full tt car for £3.5k (albeit a bit bashed up on outside) with seats, wheels, tyres etc. etc.

I am after one but £2k+ for tt engine is way over priced for me. So waiting until the prices get more realistic.

I have never seen a TT for £3.5k... If you could get one at that price then it will properly be shagged so badly you will need major work done on the engine, which then makes the whole exercise pointless.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Behave! More like 4-5k for a TT auto that's a bit battered, for what these engines can do 2k is a bargain!

Sunny I would say VVTi engines still seem to command a higher price, but both TT non and VVTi engine prices seem to have dropped

I have never seen a TT worth even bothering with for £3.5k!

Engines usually have major issues too at that price.

You could be right. I just looked on pistonheads and can only get £4k.

But the money made from off loading the rest of the car still make the engine relatively cheap.

Exhaust, tyres, wheels, glass, dash, radio, seats, headlights, body panels, tail gate, door cards etc. etc. easily will net you over £1500.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-jap-import-single-turbo-conversion-bargian/1609534

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-turbo-3dr-auto-ftsh--2-keys--vgc/1589009

I just can't be bothered with hassle of selling off the bits.

You could be right. I just looked on pistonheads and can only get £4k.

But the money made from off loading the rest of the car still make the engine relatively cheap.

Exhaust, tyres, wheels, glass, dash, radio, seats, headlights, body panels, tail gate, door cards etc. etc. easily will net you over £1500.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-jap-import-single-turbo-conversion-bargian/1609534

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-turbo-3dr-auto-ftsh--2-keys--vgc/1589009

I just can't be bothered with hassle of selling off the bits.

Which is exactly why the engines command the prices they do.

;)

All great point guys, keep them coming.

I think the issue with getting rid of the other parts once the engine is out, is that most people "mind price" the value of the excess parts, where as the reality of the matter is that a lot of parts, interior etc start being reduced because they are taking so long to clear, frustration comes for free.

Surely there could be an argument, that building a TT engine (although time consuming to source parts) from spares in the wanted section could be a plausible option?

Could be Sunny.

My situation is I am looking for a cheap white TT for £3.5k-£4k even if stock and I'll take my goodies from my n/a to the TT and sell the NA cheap (£1.5k-£2k).

OR I'm looking for a crashed TT with all the bits I am missing (big brakes/TT BPU'd/good ICE) for £3k-£3.5k and i'll take all the goodies off it and sell what I dont need for at least £1k.

But not willing to pay £2k+ for an engine alone. Just makes no financial sense to me.

In regard to the VVTi vs non-VVTi, I don't think either is more desirable than the other(and prices show this), this is mainly down to the fact that the VVTi only shows it's real benefits in stock form, when you go single, most prefer the non-VVTi due to the complexity of the DBW system, also, when doing an engine swap, the DBW system can cause some serious issues(ask anyone on here who has gone NA-TT VVTi).

Good posting Marc, very true, I have heard a lot of people having snags converting to a VVTi lump. I would agree that going single and not having to worry about the DBW System is a bonus, but with developments with the SYVECS ECU's etc seems to be remedying some of the issue with this system. I think of it as a challenge :thumbs:.

Nice to hear different approaches

I've not been on the forum long but my expectation is that the price of the TT Supra's will rise as they become rare.....especially the unmolested examples.

Let's be honest, the country isn't flooded with them right now and again, in my short time on here, I've seen many Supra's broken up. You can almost visualise a countdown of the UK numbers.....

Just my two pence worth.... :D

Could be Sunny.

My situation is I am looking for a cheap white TT for £3.5k-£4k even if stock and I'll take my goodies from my n/a to the TT and sell the NA cheap (£1.5k-£2k).

OR I'm looking for a crashed TT with all the bits I am missing (big brakes/TT BPU'd/good ICE) for £3k-£3.5k and i'll take all the goodies off it and sell what I dont need for at least £1k.

But not willing to pay £2k+ for an engine alone. Just makes no financial sense to me.